J. A. SAVILLE, farmer and stock-raiser, section 2, township 75, range 8, is a native of Greene County, Ohio, born in 1834, and a son of Samuel and Ann Saville, both natives of Virginia, who emigrated to Ohio in 1827, and were pioneers of Greene County. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and died in 1851, aged fifty-nine years. His mother died in 1872, aged eighty years. They were members of the German Reformed Church.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. He was married, in 1861, to Keturah G. Sphar, also a native of Greene County, and the daughter of William and Sarah (Smith) Sphar. They are the parents of seven children: Emma R., the wife of Pearson Hartman, of Franklin Township; Martha B., the wife of William T. Eckles, of Washington Township; William S. and James O., at home; Bertie N. died in September, 1878, aged one year and nine months; Myrtle M. is at home.
Mr. Saville came to Washington County, Iowa, in 1876, and settled n section 2, attachment to Franklin Township, where he owns 232 acres of land, which makes a well-improved farm. He and his family are members of the United Presbyterian Church. He was Trustee of the township one term. Mr. Saville is operating a stone quarry, and gives employment to one man all the time. The quarry furnishes a superior quality of building stone. There are also several fine springs on his place, some of which have medicinal qualities. In addition to general farming, he raises a good grade of cattle and horses.
Mr. Saville commenced life a poor boy and made all that he now enjoys by his own efforts. He is an enterprising man, and believes in doing all that can be done for the advancement of the community in which he resides. In addition to the farm on which he lives, he is the owner of 160 acres in Pike County.
H. C. SCHEIB, of the firm of Scheib & Leasure, Wellman, is a native of Washington County, Iowa, born May 3, 1861, and is the son of Charles and Mary (Klockentager) Scheib, both of whom are natives of Germany. Charles Scheib was born in 1828, and came to the United States in 1849, landing in New York, where he remained a short time, and then went to Racine, Wis. He was a baker by trade, and engaged at that occupation in Racine until his removal to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in 1851, where he engaged in farming, and there remained until 1855, when he sold out and came to Washington County, and in company with his father and brothers, purchased 160 acres of land, and improved the same. This farm afterward passed entirely under his control and to it he added by subsequent purchase until he had a farm of 200 acres, all under good improvement.
Charles and Mary Scheib have had nine children, six of whom are living: H.C. the subject of this sketch; Charles, who married Viola Huffman, of Washington County; Lyda, a teacher; Katie, Ida, and Johan. The deceased were Minnie, Albert and an infant. Charles Scheib is a public-spirited man who stands well in the community where he resides. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which his wife is also connected, and is always ready to give of his time and
money to advance the interests of the Church, and all public matters.
H. C. Scheib, the subject of this sketch, was reared upon a farm, and received his education in the common schools, which he attended from time to time until nineteen years of age. He then went to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, and engaged with Pat McCarty on his farm, remaining with him four months. He then went to Denver, Col., where he remained a short time, and then went to Webster Station, where he engaged as a hand in a sawmill for about six months. From Webster Station he went to Georgetown, and then to Leadville, where he worked in a charcoal camp for eight months. Having seen enough of the West, he returned home and worked on his father's farm until Nov. 24, 1885, when he formed a partnership with J. C. Leasure, and bought the establishment formerly owned by William Voss. The firm now carries a full line of dry-goods, boots and shoes, hats and caps, groceries and queensware, their stock being valued at about $8,000. The motto of the firm is "as cheap as the cheapest." By fair and honest dealing they have gained the confidence of the people, and have built up a splendid trade. The firm is always in the market for the purchase of farm produce, for which they pay the highest price. A town composed of such men as Mr. Scheib will always prosper. Industrious, energetic, and with a desire to please, he will at all times make and retain friends.
DANIEL YOCKEY, lumber dealer, at Brighton, has been a resident of Washington County since 1842. He is a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., born april 10, 1818, and is the son of George and Susan (Hay) Yockey, the former of Swiss, and the latter of German descent. In the winter of 1831-32 the family went to Stark, now Carroll County, Ohio, where the father followed his occupation as carpenter. They were highly respected people, honest in all their dealings, and enjoyed the confidence and respect of all. The mother was a member of the Lutheran Church, and was a sincere Christian woman. They were the parents of seven children, five of whom are living: Daniel, of this sketch; Henry, of Glenwood, Iowa; Susan, the widow of J. Nicum, who now resides in Wayne County, Iowa; Christian, ressiding in Carroll County, Ohio; Mary, the wife of Christopher Fishline, of New Lisbon, Ohio.
The subject of this sketch received a very limited education in the log school-house, and well remembers the old building with its floor partially covered with puncheons, and slab seats. In 1832 he went with his parents to Stark county, Ohio, where he remained until 1837. He then returned to Pennsylvania and there remained until the fall of 1839, when he went to Fairfield, Wayne Co., Ill., and staid [stayed] there until Feb. 23, 1841, when he started for Iowa City, Iowa, going by way of Nauvoo, Hancock Co., Ill., at that time the headquarters of the Mormons, and at a time when there was considerable trouble between the Mormons and the Gentiles. He remained in Nauvoo one week, stopping with Sidney Rigdon, who was without doubt the brains of Mormonism. He had formerly been a Baptist preacher, was well read, and a man of great oratorical ability. Leaving Nauvoo, Mr. Yockey crossed the river at Ft. Madison,a nd then went on foot to Iowa City, where he obtained employment at his trade of carpentering. In 1842 he went to Washington, Iowa, where he engaged in building and contracting. He there assisted in the erection of the second court-house, and other public buildings.
In 1844, our subject went bakc to Ohio, where he married Jane B. Kilgore, in Tuscarawas County. She was born in Belmont County, of that State. He then returned to Washington, accompanied by his bride, and has ever since been a resident of the county. They are the parents of six living children: Grezilda, wife of J.G. Hoskin; John K., of Washington; Jeanette, the wife of N. S. Waterman, of Spink county, Dalk.; Susan N., Martin M., Maggie B., of Brighton. In 1871 Mr. Yockey came to Brighton, where he superintended a lumber-yard for John Messener, and in 1874 embarked in business for himself, and is still engaged in the same.
Mr. and Mrs. Yockey are members of the United Presbyterian Church, of Brighton. HIs first vote for President was cast for Gen. Harrison, but in faith he was a strong anti-slavery man, and for
several years afterward did not vote, but cast his vote for Abraham Lincoln for President in 1860. He is thankful that he has lived to see the day when slavery is abolished in the country. While not having acquired the wealth of some persons, Mr. Yockey has, nevertheless, been successful in life, and is now classed among the well-to-do business men of Brighton and Washington County.