JOHN D. LOGAN is one of the pioneers of Washington County. He resides upon section 34, Washington Township, where he owns a well-improved farm. He was born near Lexington, Ky., Aug. 21, 1819, and is a son of Samuel and Tirzah (Meek) Logan, who were also natives of Kentucky. In 1823 the family emigrated to Decatur County, Ind., where Samuel Logan engaged in farming. Of the family of three children two are now living, John D., the subject of this sketch, and Davis A., who also resides in this county. Sally Ann died many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Logan were members of the Associate Reformed Church, and both died in Decatur County, Ind.
The subject of this sketch was reared in pioneer times in Indiana, and like all other children of pioneers, was compelled to endure the toils and privations of such life. The educational advantages enjoyed were such as were only common in those days. In October, 1838, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Logan. Three children were born unto them, two of whom are now livingSamuel M., and Tirzah, wife of Daniel Anderson, of this county. In 1845, the family came to Washington County, Iowa, where in August, 1846, Mrs. Logan died. She was a member of the Associate Reform Church and a sincere Christian woman. Being left with two children, Mr. Logan, in 1847, returned to Indiana, and was there married, in 1851, to Miss Margaret J. Logan, who was born in Indiana, Oct. 4, 1827. By this union there were two childrenWalter E., and Mary E., wife of Charles E. Duel. In 1852 Mr. Logan again returned to Washington County, Iowa, and located in Brighton, where he remained until 1864, when he removed to his present farm in Washington Township. Mr. Logan gave one son to the cause of his country. George A. Logan enlisted in Co. H, 7th Iowa Vol. Inf., and was mustered into the service July 24, 1861. He was killed at the battle of Belmont, Nov. 7, 1861. In his honor the G.A.R. Post at Brighton was named. Samuel M. Logan enlisted in the same company. He was made Corporal Feb. 1, 1862, and wounded at Corinth in October, 1862, after which he was promoted Sergeant. He veteranized Jan. 1, 1864, came home on a furlough, remained a short time and then rejoined his regiment, and at Lay's Ferry, Ga., May 15, 1864, was again wounded. He was discharged with the regiment at the close of the war. Mr. Logan has been
a resident of Washington County for forty years, with the exception of the time spent in Indiana after the death of his wife. In politics he is a Republican, and has affiliated with that party since its organization. Religiously he is connected with the United Presbyterian Church, of which body his wife is also a member. Coming to this county a poor man, by hard work and economy, assisted by his noble wife, he has acquired a competency. Both are highly respected by all who know them.
JAMES HAMILTON resides upon section 9, Marion Township. He is a native of County Down, Ireland, born in 1814, and is the son of William and Rachel (Gibson) Hamilton. His father was a weaver by trade and served seven years in the English army, and died in 1867. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. His mother died about the same year. The subject of this sketch learned the weaver's trade in his native country, which he left in 1850, coming to this country and locating in the State of New York, where he lived four years, engaged in farming. He then moved to Ottawa County, Ohio, where he lived two years engaged in work in a stone-quarry. He then came to Washington county, Iowa, and settled on section 9, Marion Township, where he still resides. At that time he entered 100 acres of low brush land, which he improved, and to which he subsequently added thirty acres, and now has one of the best improved farms in Marion Township, with a house and barn erected at a cost of $2,500; the farm is all under cultivation. In 1843 Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage with Margaret Mulligan, a native of North Ireland. They are the parents of three children: Eliza, now the wife of L. F. Sigafoos, of Marion Township; J. W., now residing on the home farm, and Susan, also at home. Mrs. Hamilton died March 2, 1882. She was a member of the Baptist Church, of which body Mr. Hamilton was also a member.
James Hamilton started life a poor boy, and the property that he now possesses was acquired by hard work, good management and fair dealing. In his life-work he has been successful, and is now reaping the fruits of his industry and awaiting the summons to come up higher.
J. W. Hamilton, the son of James Hamilton, was also born in County Down, Ireland, Sept. 2, 1848, and came with his parents to America when but two years of age. He was educated in the district schools of Washington County, Iowa, and here grew to manhood. He is a present engaged in running the home farm, and is serving his third term as Clerk of the township of Marion. During his entire life he has been an industrious and hard-working man, and by close attention to business, has been quite successful in his chosen occupation. He is an enterprising man, one who endeavors to keep posted in general literature and in all political affairs. In politics he is a Greenbacker, and is a member of the Christian or New-Light Church.
GEORGE H. FRASHER, editor and proprietor of the Brighton News, was born in Licking County, Ohio, on the 9th of February, 1845. His father, Peter Frasher, was a native of Huntingdon County, Pa., born in 1806. He married Miss Margaret Chilcote, who was born in the same county in 1809. In about 1840 they left Pennsylvania and went to Licking County, Ohio, where Mr. Frasher engaged in farming, in connection with his trade of carpenter and joiner. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters: Oliver E., at the breaking out of the Rebellion enlisted in Co. K, 7th Iowa Vol. Inf., and participated in all the engagements of his regiment up to May, 1864, when he was killed in the battle of Resaca; John B. enlisted Co. C, 3d Wis. Vol. Inf.; was wounded in the battle of Antietam, and was never afterward able to go into active service; he was transferred to the Benton Reserve Corps, and died in Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1867, from the effects of his wounds. Rebecca B. first married William C. Parks, who was killed by bing thrown from a horse in 1871, near Germanville, Iowa; she subsequently married William Kiner, and died June 23, 1887.
Phoebe C. is now the wife of Henry Stafford, of Salina, Jefferson Co., Iowa; George H. is the subject of this sketch; Lewis L. enlisted in the 8th Iowa Cavalry, and in 1863 was accidentally killed while in the service; Mary J. is the wife of Daniel Hillman, of Jewell County, Kan.; Aseneth F. is living in Brighton. Mr. Frasher died in 1857, while Mrs. Frasher, the mother of our subject, is still living in Jewell County, Kan. She has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years.
George H. Frasher was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. D, 17th Iowa Vol. Inf.; and was mustered into the service at Keokuk, Iowa, from which place they went to St. Louis, where the regiment remained two weeks, was then sent to Pittsburg Landing, and thence to Corinth, where it was in its first engagement. In the move on Jackson, Miss., the 17th Regiment was in the advance. He participated in the battles of Port Gibson, Raymond and Champion HIlls. In this last engagement the regiment lost heavily, and at its close it was only enabled to stack sixty-three guns. It received high praise from Gen. Grant for its services. After the battle of Champion Hills it was sent to the vicinity of Vicksburg, where it took part in the siege and capture of that place. In the fall of 1863 it was sent to Memphis, Tenn., and thence to Chattanooga, and on the 23d and 24th days of November was in the engagement of Missionary Ridge. It was then sent to Huntsville, Ala., where it went into winter quarters and remained until May, 1864. Its first move was then made to Kingston, Ga., from which place it was sent back on guard duty. In October, 1864, the regiment was captured at Kingston, Ga., by Gen. Hood, and Mr. Frasher, with others, was sent to Holly Prison, and later to Andersonville. Here he remained six months and a half, and out of the 300 men of his regiment to enter that loathsome prison, but half came out alive. He was released in April, 1865, and sent to Jacksonville, Fla., thence to Indianapolis, Ind., and then to Davenport, Iowa, where he was mustered out June 14, 1865.
Soon after returning home Mr. Frasher was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Parks, a native of Huntingdon County, Pa., by whom he had one child, Nettie. Mrs. Frasher died Jan. 29, 1879. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Frasher was again married, Sept. 5, 1883, to Miss Vina E. Baird, who was born in Louisa County, Iowa, Nov. 2, 1857, and daughter of Thomas L. Baird. In 1879 Mr. Frasher established the Pleasant Plain News, and there continued its publication until 1883, when he moved the paper to Brighton, from which place it has since been published. In 1876 he was appointed Postmaster of Salina, under Marshal Jewell, and continued in the discharge of the duties of that office until July, 1879, when he resigned. He is a member of the George Logan Post No. 363, G.A.R. Mr. Frasher is a writer of rather more than ordinary ability, and has made the News a first-class local paper, one that well represents the enterprising village of Brighton.
SAMUEL A. SANDS is a farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 4, Oregon Township, and the owner of eight acres of fine farm land. He is a native of East Tennessee, born Jan. 8, 1848, and is the son of B. R. and Rosanna (Henderson) Sands, the former a native of Tennessee and of English descent, the latter a native of North Carolina and of Scotch descent. They were among the early settlers of Washington County, emigrating from East Tennessee in 1851, settling in Oregon Township, where the former still resides, making his home in the village of Ainsworth, and enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life. The latter died jUne 20, 1887. (See sketch of B.R. Sands elsewhere in this volume).
The subject of this sketch came with his parents to Washington County, Iowa, when but three years of age, and here grew to manhood and received his education in the common schools of his adopted State and county. His whole life has been spent upon the farm, and he is regarded by all as a good practical farmer. On the 11th of August, 1870, he was untied in marriage with Miss Melinda E. Henderson, a native of Tennessee, born in 1849, and
daughter of John and Esther Henderson. By this union there have been eight children, of whom the living are: Bessie C., Annette, Myrtle I., Charles C., Ella M. and Nora B.
Mr. Sands, as already intimated, has spent his whole life in Washington County. Coming to the county four years before a railroad had been built in the State, and when settlements were few and far between, confined principally to the prairies, he has lived to witness the many great changes that have been made, and to perform his part in bringing them all about. Growing up in Oregon Township, he is well known by all its citizens, and has been honored by them with many of the local offices, which he has filled to the entire satisfaction of all. While not numbered among the very wealthy men of Washington county, he is yet in comfortable circumstances, and that which he has is the result of his own labors, assisted in part by his good wife. Mr. and Mrs. Sands are consistent members of the United Presbyterian Church. Politically, he is a Republican, and takes much interest in all political affairs.