JOHN COPPOCK, SR., deceased, was both an early settler of Henry and Washington Counties, Iowa. He was born in Miami County, Ohio, Jan. 13, 1819, where he grew to manhood, was educated in the common school, and on the 12th of December, 1839, married Miss Hannah Neal, also a native of Miami County, born Oct. 19, 1823, and daughter of Benjamin and Susanna Neal, who were among the earliest pioneers of Ohio. In the fall of 1842 Mr. and Mrs. Coppock left Ohio and came to Iowa, coming through with teams, and being about three weeks in making the journey. They settled in the northwest corner of Henry County, where Mr. Coppock purchased a tract of land, improved a farm and remained eight years. They then came to Washington County and located on section 36, of Brighton Township, where he again opened up a farm. Soon after coming to this place he built a sawmill on Skunk River, which was torn down in 1862; he also erected a gristmill.
In early life Mr. Coppock was an old-line Whig, and a great admirer of Henry Clay. Holding strong anti-slavery views, when the Republican party was organized he became an advocate of its principles, and continued to vote with that party until his death. Religiously, in later life he was a member of the Church of God. He was a kind husband and an indulgent father, one who stood high in the esteem of the people, being honest and upright in all his dealings.
The family of John Coppock included fourteen children, but eight of whom are now living: William, now residing in this county; Thomas residing in Gove County, Kan.; Nancy, at home; Hannah, the wife of N. C. Essley, of Washington County. Alza, at home; Maggie, the wife of C. E. McKinsey, of Henry County, Iowa. John, now residing on the old place; Luella, the wife of F. S. Kiner, of Henry County, Iowa; Mrs. Coppock is still living with her son on the old homestead, and is a well-preserved woman of sixty-four years.
John Coppock, the son of our subject, and owner and proprietor of the Coppock Mills,was born in Washington County, Iowa, July 2, 1862. Here he grew to manhood and was educated in the district schools at Washington, where his parents lived for seven years. When twenty-one years old he purchased the mill, and has continued to operate it ever since. The mill is one of the best in Washington County, 40x50 feet, six and a half stories high, and, together with the dam, cost $10,000. Mr. Coppock is a young man, full of energy, a good business man in every respect, and one who doubtless has a bright future before him.
J. B. YOUNG, farmer and stock-raiser on section 4, Cedar Township, is a native of Washington County, Iowa, born Sept. 10, 1843, and is a son of John A. and Nancy (Eyestone) Young, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Indiana. They were among the early settlers of this county, arriving here in June, 1843, and locating on section 22, Cedar Township, where Mr. Young entered 120 acres of wild land, which improved and on which he lived for many years. His death occurred in 1874, at the age of fifty-nine years. He was an enterprising, public-spirited man, and no one was better known or more universally respected in Washington County. In early life he was, politically, a Whig, but from the date of its organization, cast his influence with the Republican party. His wife died in 1865, at the age of forty-eight. They reared a family of ten children, six of whom
are yet living: Eliza J. is the wife of Samuel C. Gardner; of Cedar Township; J. B., the subject of this sketch; Edward H. now resides near Lexington, this county; Charles is a farmer in Cedar Township; Clara is the wife of Joseph Illinsworth, and is residing in Wapello County.
The subject of this sketch was reared in Cedar Township, and acquired his education in the common schools. He remained at home, assisting his father on the farm, until August, 1861, when he enlisted in the 8th Iowa Infantry, and served until April, 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability. Returning home, he again took his place upon the farm, where he remained until he felt that his health had fully recovered, when he again enlisted, becoming a member of the 2d Iowa Infantry, with which he served till the close of the war. While a member of the 2d Regiment, he took part in the Atlanta campaign and on the march to the sea, thence on to Washington, where he formed on of the great number of volunteer soldiers in the grand review. At Dallas, Ga. he received a wound in his right eye, which caused the loss of its sight.
On receiving his discharge, in July, 1865, Mr. Young returned to Washington County, rented a farm, and commenced farming on his own account. He continued to rent for seven years, when he bought eight acres of land in Ringgold County, which he retained and worked for two years, then sold out and returned to Washington County and purchased eight acres on section 4, Cedar Township, where he now resides. To the original eighty he has added by subsequent purchase, until he now owns a splendid farm of 192 acres, all of which is under a high state of cultivation. His present neat and comfortable dwelling-house was erected in 1881, at a cost of $2,000. The bar cost $900. In 1874, he married Annie Lillie, a native of Madison county, Ohio, and daughter of James and Matilda (Anderson) Lillie, who were also natives of Ohio. Four children have blest their union: Edgar, born Jan. 18, 1875; George, March 21, 1877; Mary, born Jan. 13, 1882, died at the age of four years; Jennie, born March 13, 1886.
Mr. and Mrs. Young are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Lexington, and both are greatly interested in Church work. Politically, he is a Republican. A practical farmer, he attends closely to his business, wasting no time, and improving the hours as they go by. As can well be understood, he has been reasonably successful in this efforts. Barely in the prime of life he is yet numbered among the well-to-do farmers of Cedar Township. In stock he has endeavored to keep the best, and at present has a goodly number of fine cattle of a high grade. Socially, and as a citizen, he enjoys the confidence and the esteem of all.
ROBERT RUSSELL is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on section 24, Clay Township. He was born in Anderson County, Tenn., Sept. 4, 1812, and is the son of William and Mary (Gailbraith) Russell, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Pennsylvania, both being of Scotch descent. They were the parents of nine children, four of whom are yet livingRobert, Jane T., Elizabeth and David. Jane T. married William Beatty, who is now deceased. She resides in Henderson County, Ill., and is one of the four original settlers of that county now living. They have three sons livingIra, George and Eli. The first two served through the War of the Rebellion, and were as brave and true men as ever went to defend the flag of their country. They were members of the gallant 84th Illinois Infantry. George was wounded at Lovejoy. Elizabeth married Harry Ingham, a sketch of whom appears in this work. The mother died in 1824, on the old homestead in Tennessee. She was a member of the Old-School Presbyterian Church. The father died in 1843, near Trenton, Iowa. He was an early settler of Henderson County, Ill., settling there in 1831.
The subject of this sketch, Robert Russell, commenced life for himself in 1832. He first learned the cabinet-maker's trade, and afterward worked at the carpenter's and millwright's trades. On leaving home, he first went to Springfield, Ill., where he worked at the cabinet-maker's trade with his brother Harvey, but soon afterward commenced the trade of a carpenter. He continued at work in carpentering and millwrighting until 1864. He was a
good mechanic, and while following his chosen occupation was never at a loss for work, his services always being in demand. He insisted in building the second house in Oquawka, Ill., then known as Yellowbanks. This building was erected for S. S. Phelps, who for many years was engaged in the Indian trade. It was afterward used for a hotel under the management of Knowles & Perkins.
In 1864 Mr. Russell came to Washington county, Iowa, with the intention of soon returning to Illinois. His brother, residing here, was desirous of going to California, and persuaded him to take charge of his farm. After remaining here for some time, he decided to make this his permanent home, his father having willed him 160 acres of fine tillable land, and 120 acres of good timber land. The farm is now in splendid condition, and is one of the best in Clay Township. On the place is a good dwelling, and a never-failing well of good water. Politically, Mr. Russell is a Republican of the stalwart kind, one who believes that the party has not yet fulfilled its mission. He has been a Republican since 1860. In that year, after reading the platform of the Democratic, the Union, and the Republican parties, he decided that the latter was the one for the people. He is a Republican from principle. While a citizen of Washington County a little less that a quarter of century, Mr. Russell is well known and is universally respected by all who know him.
CHRISTIAN SCHANTZ is a native of Switzerland, born in 1828, and is a son of Peter and Magdalene Schantz, the former a native of France and the latter of Switzerland. They came to America in 1853, and first settled in Stark county, Ohio, where he rented a farm and lived four years, and then came to Washington County, Iowa, and located on section 25, Marion Township, where he bought eight acres of improved land, to which he has since added forty acres, making a farm of 120 acres. He was married, in 1853, to Barbara Rich, a native of Alsace, France. They are the parents of six children: Lena, the wife of Jacob Goldsmith, of Henry County, Iowa; Barbara, now the wife of Stephen Wise, of Henry County; Peter R., Elizabeth, Mary and Katie at home. The family are members of the Mennonite Church.
Mr. Schantz came to this county in limited circumstances, and all that he now has was secured by his own industry and good management. In addition to his general farming, he is making a specialty of draft horses, and has now tow imported Norman horses. County D'Chambort is a splendid grey weighing 1,650 pounds; Faron is a dark grey, four years old, weighing 1,900 pounds. He has also a thoroughbred Clydesdale, weighin 2,000 pounds. In addition to the foregoing horses, he owns four high-grade mares, and expects to continue in the stock business.