GEORGE R. BLACK, United States Mail Agent on the Burlington, Iowa , to Albert Lee, Minn. He was born in Greene County, Pa., on the 14th of November, 1853, and is the son of Hiram H. and Mary A. (Morris) Black, who were also natives of Pennsylvania. (See sketch of Hiram H. Black.) When but six years of age he accompanied his parents to Washington County, Iowa, where he was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of his adopted State, supplemented by a partial course at the Agricultural College at Ames.
Mr. Black was married in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, on the 15th of October, 1879, to Miss R. V. Pratt, a daughter of E. Porter Pratt, a pioneer of Iowa, now residing in Marion Township, Washington County, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. By this union there are three childrenHarley H., Maida and Porter. In October, 1886, Mr. Black was appointed to his present position of mail agent, after having passed a very creditable examination. His record during the past year has been a very good one, there being very few errors charged to him in the distribution of the mail. Politically, Mr. Black is a Greenbacker.
W. H. DAYTON is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on section 24, Seventy-Six Township. He is a native of Alleghany County, Md., born May 12, 1835, and is the son of Nicholas and Rebecca (McCormick) Dayton, who were also natives of Maryland. They reared a family of nine children, of whom three are now living: W. H., the subject of this sketch; Mary A., the widow of W. T. Miller, now living in Washington; Maria, the widow of T. M. Gentzler, now living in Columbus City, Iowa. In 1842 Nicholas Dayton left Maryland with his family for
Iowa. They first located in Burlington, and in the spring of 1843 came to Washington County, and settled on section 19, Cedar Township, where the father died in 1874. The mother died when W. H. was but a small boy.
The subject of this sketch came to Washington County with his father, and remained at home until February, 1859, when he went to California by way of New York and Panama, being twenty-one days en route from New York to San Francisco. He remained in California until 1869, engaged in mining and lumbering, following the latter occupation for seven years. He was quite successful while in California. When he went to that new Eldorado there was a choice of two routes, by water, and overland by means of teams, the latter requiring several months in making the trip. While in California, the great Union Pacific Railroad was constructed and on that line of road he returned to Iowa, arriving in his old home in Cedar Township Oct. 19, 1869.
Just before leaving California, on the 3d of October, 1869, Mr. Dayton was united to Miss Martha J. Matthews, a native of Wisconsin, born May 8, 1846, and daughter of Eugene and Maria (Jackson) Matthews, who were natives of New York. Soon after his arrival with his young bride, Mr. Dayton purchased 160 acres of land on section 24, Seventy-Six Township. When he purchased this land, it was in its wild state, but he immediately went to work to improve it, and to-day has one of the best farms in Washington County. By subsequent purchase he has added 118 acres to his farm, making a total of 278 acres. All the improvements upon the place are of the better class, and Mr. Dayton has reason to be proud of the success that has attended him since his return from the Golden State.
Four children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Dayton: Charley Howard, born Oct. 12, 1871, died Dec. 27, 1876; Nellie B., born Feb. 12, 1876; Orville L., Dec. 5, 1878; Edith, Dec. 13, 1886. Mrs. Dayton is a member of the United Brethren Church. The life of Mr. Dayton is but another illustration of what may be accomplished by the youth of this land. Starting in life without means, he has toiled on, been economical in his habits, and through his own exertions, assisted by his good wife, has acquired enough of this world's goods to render him and his comfortable through life. In addition to general farming he is engaged somewhat extensively in stock-raising. Politically, he is a stanch Republican, and takes considerable interest in political affairs, always being ready to contribute of his time and means for the success of his party.
HIRAM H. BLACK, farmer and stock-raiser, on section 22, Washington Township, was born in Greene County, Pa., on the 31st of March, 1819, and is the son of Samuel and Charlotte (Heaton) Black, the former born in Adams County, Pa., in 1777. and the latter in Virginia about 1792. They were the parents of ten children, six of whom are now living: Henry, of Lucas County, Iowa; Mary, the wife of John K. Bell, and Charlotte, the wife of Dr. D. Rogers, both of Greene County, Pa.; William, also of Greene County, Elizabeth, the wife of L. Baker, of Washington County, Pa.
The subject of this sketch was educated in the subscription schools of his native State. He was married in Greene County, Pa., his wife's birthplace, June 8, 1848, to Miss Mary A. Morris, who was born in 1824, and a daughter of Thomas Morris. They are the parents of five children, four living: George R., a mail agent on the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad, from Burlington to Albert Lee, Minn.; William M., of Washington; Lizzie, the wife of W. F. Palmer, of Minneapolis, Minn.; Lottie L., a graduate of the High School of Washington; Samuel A. died at the age of twenty-five. In 1859 the family came to Washington County, Iowa, and located on section 25, Washington Township, where they remained four years, and then came to their present farm on section 22. Mr. Black has always taken great interest in educational matters, and has given each of his children a good education. The home farm consists of sixty acres of valuable land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation.
Mr. Black is a man well posted in the affairs of his country and State, and is well able to express himself on all matters of public interest. In the
neighborhood where he has resided for so many years he is highly regarded by his neighbors, and is well worthy of their esteem.
HON. WILLIAM B. LEWIS, one of the pioneers of Washington County, is a native of Lincoln County, Ky., and is a son of Samuel and Cassander (Leasure) Lewis, the former born in Maryland, Sept. 17, 1766, and the latter March 11, 1772, in the same State. They removed to Botetourt County, Va., and subsequently to Lincoln County, Ky., where they remained until 1822, when they emigrated to Decatur County, Ind., where Mr. Lewis made a claim in a heavily timbered country, literally hewing a home out of the wilderness. In 1845 he came to Washington County, Iowa, where both died, the husband Dec. 21, 1851, and the wife March 9 of the same year. They had lived together as man and wife for over sixty years, and during all of that time both had been members of the Associate Presbyterian Church, and were worthy and highly esteemed members of the community.
They were the parents of six children, as follows: Nathaniel, who was born in Virginia May 21, 1793, and died in Indiana; John, born Jan. 2, 1798, died in Des Moines, Iowa; Elizabeth, born March 4, 1801, became the wife of William Douglas, and both died in Indiana; James, born Jan. 29, 1804, died at Afton, Iowa; Mary, born Jan. 7, 1813, married Thomas Donald, and is now deceased; and William B., who was next after James, and was born Sept. 4, 1806. He was sixteen years old when his parents emigrated to Indiana, where he assisted his father in making a home, attending school three months in winter in a log school-house, with puncheon floor and slab seats.
In 1838, Mr. Lewis was married to Eliza, daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Barr) Donnell, who had settled in Decatur County, Ind., in 1823. Mrs. Lewis was born in Bourbon County, Ky., July 7, 1809. Her parents had eleven children, of whom but one besides Mrs. Lewis now survives, a brother, John R. living in Greensburg, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Donnell were members of the Presbyterian Church, and were highly respected for their many Christian virtues.
Since coming to Iowa, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have lived on the same section where they first made their home, a continuous residence of forty-two years. In early life Mr. Lewis was a Whig, and an ardent admirer of Henry Clay. After the passage of the Fugitive Slave Law, he affiliated with the Freesoilers until the formation of the Republican party, in which he took an active part. In 1856 he was elected to the State Legislature, and in 1859 to the State Senate, filling those important offices with credit to himself, and satisfaction to his constituents.
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are the parents of eleven children, of whom ten are now living: Samuel M. is in California; Catherine is the wife of Gilmore Vincent, of this county; Robert P., also of this county, was a soldier in Co. A., 25th Iowa, and served until the close of the war; James H., of this county, served one year in the 7th Iowa, when he was discharged for physical disability; Mary E. is the wife of Henry Marshall, of Clay County, Kan., Elizabeth E. is unmarried, and lives in Dakota; Thomas L. and John are residents of Washington County; Cassander J. and Josephine live with their parents. The deceased son was named Nathaniel.
Mr. Lewis is emphatically a self-made man. In early life he had but limited opportunities, but being always a student, and blessed with a retentive memory, has become unusually well read. He and his wife, now in the sixtieth year of their wedded life, have been life-long Christians and members of the Presbyterian Church, of which for many years he was an Elder. An old and well-known resident of the county. Mr. Lewis has the respect and esteem of all its citizens.
George Park, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Washington County. He was born in Hampshire County, Va., in 1806, and there grew to manhood, and married Miss Ann Harder, who was born near Wheeling, W. Va., in 1809. At an early day they moved to Ohio and settled near Columbus. In 1837 they came to
Washington County, Iowa, and first located in Marion Township, where they remained a short time, and then moved to section 23, Brighton Township, where he improved a fine farm. At the time the family came to Washington County there were many Indians in the neighborhood, but they were never disturbed by them. For some time their trading was all done at Burlington. On their first visit to the latter place there was but one brick building in the place. The country between here and there was but little better than a wilderness, and neighbors were few and far between.
Mr. and Mrs. Park were the parents of six children, three of whom are living: Jemima, the widow of Theodore Campbell, who was killed during the Rebellion, while engaged in the service of his country, is now living in Brighton Township; Elias is a farmer in the same township, and Martha, the widow of Nathan Brown, now resides in California. Mr. Park died Dec. 6, 1846, but a few months after Iowa was admitted into the Union. Mrs. Park is still living in Brighton Township, at the age of seventy-eight years. For many years she has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a sincere Christian woman, respected by all who know her.
W. W. MASON, farmer and stock-raiser, resides on section 18, Oregon Township, where he is the owner of 220 acres of land known as the John Stone Farm, and which is one of the finest and best in the county. They were the parents of nine children.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and as soon as old enough, was required to do his part in its cultivation. The business of farming he has followed successfully thus far through life. For some years he was principally engaged in shipping stock, but now confines himself principally to general farming and stock-raising, and is considered a model farmer. Mr. Mason was united in marriage, in LaSalle County, Ill., in 1867, with Miss Lovina, daughter of Marcus and Caroline Preston. She was born in New York in 1841. By this union there are seven childrenWesley J., Wallace C., Cora D., W. Willis, Alcestra I., Wilburn F. and Milton H.
In 1861, Mr. Mason enlisted in Co. F, 51st Ill. Vol. Inf., and served two years. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, and other engagements of less note. He was honorably discharged at Nashville, Tenn. He is truly a self-made man, and one of the most enterprising citizens of the county. HIs life is a good example of what pluck and energy have accomplished. Everything around him denotes system and good management. He feeds and ships his own stock. As a citizen he is highly respected, and enjoys the esteem and confidence of all hwo know him.
EDWARD T. HEBENER, of the firm of Hebener & Son, marble dealers, was born in Northampton County, Pa., April 22, 1818. He is the son of Anthony and Mary M. (Knaus) Hebener, both of whom were also natives of the same county. There was a family of nine children, seven of whom lived to be adults, but there are but three now living: Lewis, of Decatur County, Iowa; Matilda, residing in New Philadelphia, Ohio, the widow of John D. Bedewell, and the subject of this sketch. In 1834 the family moved to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where the parents both died. They were members of the Moravian Church, and took an active interest in the work of that body.
Edward T. Hebener was educated in the common schools of his native State, and when the family moved to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, he was apprenticed to learn the trade of marble cutting, with a brother-in-law, and served three years, receiving for his services his board and clothes, with the understanding that at the end of his apprenticeship he was to receive a kit of tools and an extra suit of clothes. The latter part of the contract was never complied with, and he was sent forth with only a knowledge of his trade. On the 13th of
May, 1846, at Cadiz, Ohio, he was united in marriage with Sarah B. Haines, a native of Ohio, born in Harrison County in September, 1826. Of this union there are four children living, two sons and two daughters: Hiram resides in McPherson, Kan., where he is engaged in the marble business; Charles is the junior member of the firm of Hebener & Son, Washington, Iowa; Leonora is the wife of C. D. Kimball, of Mt. Vernon, Wash. Ter.; Sarah is the wife of A. N. Alberson, of Washington, Iowa.
In 1848 Mr. Hebener moved to Iowa, and located in Farmington, Van Buren County, and in 1849 did the first marble cutting in the State, for Harvey Ray, of Burlington. In 1850 he moved to Montrose, where he engaged in the marble business and remained there three years, and then moved to Muscatine, where he continued in the same trade. In 1858 he came to Washington and started the first marble business in the Washington County. For a period of almost thirty years he has been engaged in that trade in Washington, and no man is more widely or favorably known.
When Mr. Hebener came to the State his entire worldly possession was a $5 gold piece, which he loaned to one whom he supposed needed it worse than he did, and who, it is presumed, has always since needed it, for it has never been returned. For his first year's work he received only $2.50 in cash, the remainder being in trade. But he did not despair. He believed in the good time coming, and continued to work away, with the firm hope of seeing a brighter day. While his anticipations may never have been realized to the full extent, he has always been enabled to live comfortably and lay by a little for a rainy day. While a citizen of Cadiz, he assisted n raising a company for the Mexican War, but did not himself enter the service, and being an excellent fifer, he taught quite a number the use of that instrument. He visited the various military rendezvous of the State to give instruction to fifers.
Politically, Mr. Hebener has always acted with the Democratic party. Socially, he is a Mason, and a member of Hawkeye Lodge No. 30, at Muscatine. Religiously, he has for years been connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife was also a member until her death, which occurred April 14, 1886. As a citizen, Mr. H. is always ready to do his part in advancing the interests of his adopted home, and few men stand higher in the estimation of the people with whom he has been so long associated.
REV. F. W. HOPPMAN, pastor of the Church of the Holy Trinity, at Richmond, was born in Burlington, Iowa, Nov. 8, 1859, and is the son of Ignace and Frances (Nordmann) Hoppmann. He was educated for the priesthood at St. Lawrence College, Calvary, Wis., where he was a student for five years. He also spent one year at St. Joseph's College, Dubuque, Iowa, and was also a student at St. Francis, Milwaukee, and at St. Vincent College, Westmoreland, Pa., under the management of the order of Benedictines. He was ordained at the latter place June 20, 1884. He was then assigned to his present charge and entered upon the discharge of his duties July 3 of that year.
Father Hoppmann has endeared himself to his congregation by his ability, wise counsels and genial manners, and Christian life, and under his fostering care the Church is growing in members and usefulness.