RESIDENCE OF E.W.H. ASHBY,
SEC. 28, LIME CREEK TOWNSHIP
E. W. H. ASHBY. Prominent among the well-to-do farmers of Lime Creek Township will be found the subject of this sketch, who resides on section 33. He was born in Preston County, Va., Dec. 1, 1834, and is the son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Wilson) Ashby, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Maryland. They were the parents of six children: Mary W., a resident of Washington, who taught the first school in this place, in the summer of 1840, and had quite a full school; it was held in an old log building, with slab seats and puncheon floor. A few of the scholars are yet living, among whom are Mrs. H. A. Burrell and Mrs. Elmira Mather, of Washington; N. Littler of Des Moines, and Col. G. A. Stone of Mt. Pleasant. Julia, the wife of Morgan Hart, a farmer in Woodson County, Kan.; Priscilla B., wife of Rev. E. W. Twining, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a resident of Corning, Iowa; Hester, the wife of A. B. Dickson, of Washington, and Elizabeth H. Bickford, deceased.
The family moved from Virginia to Ohio in 1836, and there Jesse Ashby rented a farm and followed farming until 1839, when, in October of that year, he loaded the famly into one of the old Pennsylvania wagons, and with a four-horse team, and nine or ten milch cows, started for Iowa, and was about forty days making the trip. They came directly to Washington and settled about one mile south of the city, where they took possession of a log cabin, in which they lived through the winter, and in March, 1840, Mr. Ashby entered 320 acres of land and lived on that farm until 1854, when he sold it to Nelson Stewart, the farm now bing owned by Enoch Winters. He then moved into the city and lived a retired life until his death, which occurred June 21, 1881, at the age of ninety-two years. He was a benevolent, public-spirited man; his home was always open to strangers, and when he built his first house he put a window in the east, and at night would set a light where it could be seen to guide the weary traveler coming west. At that time there was not a house between Washington and Crawfordsville. His team hauled the first load of logs to build the first house in Washington for Joseph Adams, now of Sigourney, Iowa. The father was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was the leader of the first class, and Superintendent of the first Sunday-school organized in Washington County. His wife preceded him to the homeof the redeemed, dying Aug. 20, 1851. She was also a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church. She was an earnest Christian, and took great interest in training her children in the ways of the Bible, and rejoiced in seeing nearly all members of the Church.
The subject of this sketch spent his early life with his parents upon the farm and in attendance on the common schools. At the age of seventeen he rented a farm of 200 acres and farmed that two years. He had a land agent locate a warrant for him of 160 acres, for which he was to pay or give his note for $200, at ten per cent interest. He
went to work and paid the note, and then sold his farm for $960, and bought the one now owned by Demcy Welsh, which contained 230 acres. He lived in Washington engaged in raising stock until 1860, when he sold out, and in 1861 moved from there to his present farm, which then consisted of 220 acres. He now owns 700 acres in one body, with good barns, and a large two-story frame dwelling. He has always turned his attention to stock-raising, and on his farm will be found a fine grade of Short-horn cattle, Poland-China and Essex hogs, Southdown and Leicester sheep, and a fine grade of Membrine horses. He raises and sells to the market, and those wanting can find a fine lot of each of the above named to select from.
Mr. Ashby was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Ihrig, of Wooster, Ohio, born Aug. 22, 1840, and the daughter of Peter and Christina (Billman) Ihrig, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former being of German descent. He died April 15, 1842, and the mother in 1878. She was a member of the Winebrenarian Church. He was a pious and useful man. Mr. and Mrs. Ashby are the parents of seven childrenViola M., Jesse; Bessie B., deceased; Ralph M., Charles M., Pussie E. and Hettie A. they have given to their children a good education. Jesse is a graduate of the Iowa City schools, and they are sending the others to the Academy as fast as they are ready. mr. Ashby is one of the leading men of the township, and has made all he has by the sweat of his brow. In politics, he is a Republican, and takes a great interest in all political and public matters, and no man stands higher in the esteem of his fellow-citizens than the subject of this sketch. A view of his place is presented in this work.
JOHN G. STEWART, a representative farmer, stock raiser and shipper, resides on section 9, Franklin Township, where he owns 218 acres of land under a high state if cultivation. He is a native of Alleghany County, Md., born Dec. 28, 1842, and is the son of William G. and Hannah (Pattison) Stewart, both of whom are of Scotch descent. They were married in Maryland and came to this county in 1844, settling in Seventy-Six Township, where they remained two years, after which they continued to live until the death of Mr. Stewart, which occurred June 16, 1864, at the age of forty-four years. In his death the county lost one of her best citizens, the family a kind and affectionate husband and an indulgent parent. Mrs. Stewart is still living, and resides in Washington. Mr. Stewart always followed the occupation of a farmer and stock shipper.
The subject of this sketch was reared upon his father's farm, and in early life commenced farming, at which occupation he has continued until the present time. He is extensively engaged in raising and shipping fine stock, making a specialty of the Short-horn thoroughbred cattle. He now has a herd of fifty head, all of which are registered in the American Herd book of Short-horn cattle. He places at the head of his herd Bell Duke, No. 11357, American Herd Book, and the Duke of the Plains, No. 29382, an animal of great merit; also Mattie Highland and G. Highland, No. 6871. His stock are all of the purest blood, and he sells at a reasonable price.
Mr. Stewart came to this county with his parents in 1844, being but two years of age, and remained with them until 1867, when he settled upon his present farm. He was married, Sept. 27, 1864, to Mary L. Bradford, a native of Switzerland County, Ind., born Dec. 22, 1844. She is the daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth (Scranton) Bradford. The former was a native of New York, and a descendant of William Bradford, who came over on the Mayflower. He married Miss Elizabeth Scranton May 9, 1841. The ancestors of Mrs. Stewart came from Holland. She graduated at Washington College, and is a lady of much refinement and of more than ordinary intelligence, and is universally respected by all who know her. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are the parents of two childrenCharles W. and Mary Corinne. Charles W. is a graduate of the East Iowa Normal School, having received his diploma June 30, 1887. He has a natural gift for sketching and bids fair to making a fine sketcher. Mary C. is now attending the Washington Academy, and is in the junior year of the scientific course.
Mr. Stewart is truly classed among the self-made men of the county, having started in life with limited means, but by strict attention to business, assisted by his amiable wife, he has acquired a nice property. Everything around him denotes thrift and enterprise, and to such men is due the progress of the age. Mr. Stewart has assessed his township five times, taken the census once, and has filled the office of Trustee several times. He has also been President of the Washington County Agricultural Society three terms, and Vice President of the same two terms. His farm is known as the Clemmon's Grove Farm, and is one of the finest stock farms in the county.
MRS. J. H. WILLIAMSON, widow of J. H. Williamson, now resides on section 16, Dutch Creek Township. She was born May 10, 1834, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, in the village of New Boston, Ill., and is the daughter of James and Jane (Kennedy) Erwin. Her father was a native of Ireland, who came to Ohio at the age of eighteen years, and there became acquainted with and married Miss Jane Kennedy, a native of Butler County, Ohio. In the fall of 1834 they crossed the Mississippi River into Iowa, and became the first white persons to make a home in that county. For the first six months after moving into Iowa, her mother never saw the face of a white person; the Indians were her only neighbors, and for a time she was a teacher of Indian children, teaching them to read and write. About 1841, Mr. Erwin died. In 1871 Mrs. Erwin moved with her only son to Washington Territory, where she now lives, and is in the enjoyment of good health, at the age of eighty-four. She cast her first vote in that Territory. Shortly after the removal to Louisa County, in this State, they became charter members of the First Presbyterian Church in Iowa. They were earnest workers in the Church, and did much to advance the religious and educational interests of the Territory of Iowa in that early day.
The subject of this sketch was united in marriage with J. H. Williamson Oct. 10, 1850. They remained in Louisa County about seven years after their marriage, and then removed to near Knoxville, in this State, where Mr. Williamson purchased a farm, and where they resided until 1862. He then traded that farm for one where Mrs. Williamson now lives. He was called from a useful and busy life Nov. 5, 1882. He was a devoted member of the United Presbyterian Church, and in his death the county lost one of its most estimable citizens; the wife, a kind husband, and the children, an indulgent father. They were the happy parents of six children: Jennie E., born Jan. 15, 1852, now the wife of W. R. Lindsey, a painter by trade, residing in Washington; S. S., born July 18, 1855, a farmer in Greeley County, Kan.; S. E., born Jan. 26, 1858, died Aug. 18, 1860; May E., born Dec. 25, 1860, died Aug. 15, 1870; William E., born Aug. 8, 1865, has charge of the home farm; Elmer J., born Dec. 2, 1870, died Aug. 18, 1871.
Mrs. Williamson, after the death of her husband, moved to the city of Washington for the purpose of educating her youngest son, and remained there until the spring of 1887, when she moved back to the home farm. She has 160 acres of land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation, and supplied with good farm buildings. She is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and in her life endeavors to follow the precepts of her Master.
CHARLES J. WILSON, County Attorney, of Washington, is a "native to the manor born." He is the son of Michael W. and Catherine (Hood) Wilson, and was born in Washington County, Iowa, Nov. 11, 1850, and has here spent his entire life. Until twenty years of age he remained upon his father's farm, assisting in the work, and having received a liberal education, entered the office of McJunkin, Henderson & McJunkin, where he read law for nearly three years. He then entered the law department of the State University at Iowa City, from which he graduated in June, 1875. Returning to Washington, he at once opened an office, and some years later formed a partnership with Hon. E. W. Stone and
Capt. J.J. Kellogg, under the firm name of Stone, Wilson & Kellogg. The first-named retired from the firm in 1883, when the firm became Wilson & Kellogg. This copartnership continued until January, 1887, when it was dissolved by mutual consent. In 1877, Mr. Wilson was first elected City Solicitor and served one term. He was again elected in 1885. In the fall of 1886 he was elected County Attorney, and Jan. 1, 1887, assumed the duties of that office, in which he brings to bear all his powers for the punishment of offenders, and in all things studies the county's best interest. That he filled the position of City Solicitor satisfactorily to the people was attested by his re-election.
On the 13th of November, 1872, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Clara Conger, daughter of J. C. Conger, who was also one of the early settlers of Washington County. Mrs. Wilson, like her husband, was born in this county. they have three childrenKittie, Carleton C. and Edith. In the organization of the National Guards of Washington, Mr. Wilson took considerable interest, and has formed one of the company up to the present time. In rifle practice he is a good shot. Politically, he is a Republican. As a lawyer he stands well among his fellow members of the bar, as well as the people generally, keeping well posted in the various changes constantly being made in the statutes of the State. As a citizen, he is ever alive to the interests of his city and county, and is willing to do all in his power to advance them. Pleasant and agreeable at all times, he has made many friends.
Capt. John J. Kellogg attorney-at-law, Washington, is a native of Adams Center, Jefferson Co., N.Y., born Oct. 16, 1837. His father, Luke Kellogg, was born in Oneida County, N.Y., in 1800, while his mother, Ada (Maxon) Kellogg, was born in Madison County, the same State, in 1804. They were married in 1822. His grandfather, Ashbel Kellogg, born in New Harford, Conn., was a soldier, acting as Paymaster in the Revolutionary War, and located in Oneida County, N.Y., at an early day. His Grandfather Maxon was also a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Luke Kellogg and Ada Maxon, abut four years after their marriage, located in Jefferson County, N.Y., where they reared a family of ten children, nine of whom are now living: Betsey, the wife of Albert Heath, a jeweler, resides in Adams Center, Jefferson Co., N.Y.; George G., a farmer, lives on the old homestead; Delia O., widow of Thomas R. Greene, lives in Adams Center; Henry J., marble manufacturer, in Jefferson County, N.Y.; Martha A. is the wife of Galen Hall, a photographer, of Adams Center, N.Y.; Charles G. is a fruit-grower in Los Angeles County, Cal.; Lorenzo M. is a farmer in Illinois; Ellen A. is the wife of M. Tittsworth, a merchant in Adams Center, N.Y.
Luke Kellogg was an Abolitionist, one who was neither afraid nor ashamed to express his views, and his house was for years a station on the "underground railroad." The poor slave endeavoring to escape to a land of freedom was kindly cared for by him, and helped on his way. He was also a strong temperance man, well posted in all questions of public interest, and held several offices of honor and trust. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Kellogg married Patience Pettitt, of Gloversville, N.Y. He died in 1870.
John J. Kellogg, the subject of this sketch, was reared on his father's farm, received a liberal education, and taught school for several years. In 1860 he went to Illinois, and while there enlisted in August, 1862, at Kankakee, as a private in Co. B, 119th Ill. Vol. Inf., known as the Board of Trade Regiment, and was mustered in at Camp Hancock, Chicago. The regiment had a very active existence and was in many engagements during the war. Mr. Kellogg, on the organization of the company, was made Orderly Sergeant, and as such went into active service. After rendezvousing at Chicago, the regiment was sent to Memphis, Tenn., and from there joined in the first expedition against Price on the Tallahatchie River. Returning to Memphis, it was forwarded to Chickasaw Bayou, and was in that engagment; then to Arkansas Post, where it took a hand; then to Young's Point, where it worked on the canal
during the following winter. In the spring of 1863 it was under Gen. Blair and engaged in the battle of Champion Hills, and was then in the siege of Vicksburg, which resulted in the capture of the city July 3, 1863. On the 19th and 20th of May it participated in both charges, and on the 19th Mr. Kellogg was wounded by a piece of shell. The regiment was ordered from Vicksburg to the Yazoo, and thence to Corinth, where it spent the winter of 1863-64. In the spring of 1864 it was sent to Memphis and took part in the engagement against the rebel forces under Forest, resulting in driving them out. For two hours the command fought without orders from headquarters. It was next in the raid to Guntown under Gen. Sturgis, when Company B lost all but thirteen of its men. The regiment on its return was sent to guarding the bridges of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad.
In the spring of 1865 Mr. Kellogg was detailed with Cols. Reeves and Wiley for the organization of the Tennessee militia, and then upon examination by a board of examiners at Memphis, he was commissioned Captain of Co. B, 88th U.S. Col. Inf. this regiment was first put in charge of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad depot, and afterward sent to Ft. Pickens, where it remained till the close of the war, being mustered out in January, 1866. While still in the service, Capt. Kellogg received a furlough, returned to Illinois, and on the 16th of November, 1864, was united in marriage at Ottawa, Ill., to Miss Isabella McGaughey, a native of Ohio. Three children have been born to them: Elliott L., who died at Charlotte, N.C., in December, 1886; Samuel J. and Louis B.
On receiving his discharge Capt. Kellogg returned to Ottawa, Ill. entered the law office of Leland Blanchard, and in the fall of 1866 was admitted to the bar. Like many other young attorneys, present necessities were stronger with him than prospective fees in the future, and he therefore secured the position of Principal of the Fourth Ward School in Ottawa, which he occupied for three years. He was then appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk and Recorder, under S. H. Hook, and subsequently Deputy United States Clerk for the Sixth District of Illinois, holding the latter position for seven years. While Deputy United States Clerk, he also engaged in the practice of his profession in addition to collecting and loaning money. In July, 1876, he moved with his family to Washington, this State, where he has since continued to reside. Soon after coming to this city, he formed a partnership with E. W. Stone, under the firm name of Stone & Kellogg, subsequently associating with themselves C. J. Wilson, under the firm name of Stone, Kellogg & Wilson. On the election of Mr. Stone to the office of District Attorney, the copartnership was dissolved, and the firm of Kellogg & Wilson organized. This continued until January, 1887, when it was also dissolved, since which time Capt. Kellogg has been alone. Since coming to Washington the only office he has held has been that of City Clerk. He is a member of the Western Riflemen's Association, and is Secretary and Treasurer of the same. He is also a member of the G.A.R., and was a delegate to the National Encampment in 1887.
S. B. FINNEY, photographer, Washington, is a native of Union County, Ohio, born Oct. 7, 1853. His father, Rufus Finney, is a native of New York, but at the age of ten years, was taken by his parents to Ohio, where he became acquainted with and married Mary Bell, by whom he had seven children, three of whom are living: S. B., a photographer of Washington; Nora wife of Calvin Long, of Washington; Cynthia, wife of L. G. Adams, also of Washington; Abla, Alfred, Eliza and Mary are deceased.
Rufus Finney came with his family to Washington in 1855, where he has since resided, with the exception of a few years spent in farming in Cedar Township, this county. In early life he learned the trade of a carpenter, which has been his occupation all the years he has been in Washington. In politics, he is a Republican, and religiously, he has for many years been connected with the Baptist Church, of which body his wife is also a member. Both are highly respected in the city where they reside.
S. B. Finney, the subject of this sketch, was reared in this county, and was seven years of age
when his parents moved to the farm in Cedar Township. As soon as physically able, he had to do his share of the farm work in the summer, and in the winter was permitted to attend the common district school. On returning to the city, he entered the High School, in which he received a liberal education. On the 24th of October, 1877, he was united in marriage with Miss Hannah Hall, a daughter of Amos and Catherine Hall, and a native of this State. Mrs. Finney died in 1880. She was a member of the Baptist Church, and her early death was mourned by many kind friends. For his second wife Mr. Finney chose Miss Minnie Leimbrich, a daughter of Kelian and Barbara Leimbrich.
In 1883 Mr. Finney moved to Keota, where he resided about two years, being first employed as a clerk, after which he entered a photograph gallery, and in time he entered a photograph gallery, and in time became quite proficient if the art. In the fall of 1885 he returned to Washington and opened a gallery, and in the prosecution of the business has been quite successful. That he is a good photographer, a glance at specimens of his work will convince anyone. Few galleries can show a better array of first-class work.