J. E. HARVEY, residing on section 36, Dutch Creek Township, is a farmer and stock-raiser, one of the oldest settlers of this county, and supposed to be the first white child born within its boundaries. He was born Feb. 9, 1840, and is the son of W. L. and Martha Harvey, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Maryland, but of German descent. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are yet living: John, a farmer in Montana; Ann, the wife of G. Augustine, a farmer in Dutch Creek Township; Mary the wife of George Ward, a farmer and
carpenter of Dutch Creek Township; Elijah is also engaged in farming, and resides in Hardin County, Iowa; J. E. is the subject of this sketch; Martha is the wife of Alex Miksch, a farmer in Dutch Creek Township; Hettie is the wife of James Harcuff, residing n New Sharon, Mahaska Co., Iowa; Emily and John are deceased.
In 1838, the father of our subject came with the family to Washington County, Iowa, and settled on a farm near Washington, where he remained until 1845, and then settled on a farm of 363 acres in Dutch Creek Township, where he resided until his death in 1880, at the age of seventy-three. His wife died in 1859. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Harvey was an energetic man, generous to a fault, a kind and indulgent parent, one whose death was mourned by family and friends alike. He held various township offices in this county, though never seeking office.
The subject of this sketch remained at home on his father's farm, assisting in its cultivation during the summer months and attending the district schools during the winter months, until 1862, when he enlisted in Co. E, 30th Iowa Vol. Inf., and served until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Arkansas Post, Jackson, Miss., the siege of Vicksburg, the second battle of Jackson, Miss., with Sherman through the Atlanta campaign, at Resaca, Ga., where the Union troops drove Hood out of that State into Alabama, and then in the march to the sea, and on to Washington, where the 30th Iowa was the first in the grand review, and where the regiment was discharged June 16, 1865. On receiving his discharge, Mr. Harvey returned to his home in Washington County and resumed the occupation of a farmer.
On the 16th of April, 1866, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Rehmel, a native of Ohio, born in February, 1848, and a daughter of John and Theresa (Krakaw) Rehmel. three children were born to themNaomi, Wilbur W. and John W. Mrs. Harvey died June 1, 1874, and in June, 1876, Mr. Harvey married Miss Samantha Hendricks. b this union there were two childrenHettie and Nora. In February, 1882, death once more visited Mr. Harvey's home, taking his wife. In December of the same year, he was again married, choosing as a companion Miss Rebecca Henry. By this union there are three childrenCora, Anna, and Charles. Mr. Harvey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the I.O.O.F. In all public affairs he takes considerable interest, and is ever ready to do his part in promoting any enterprise that is calculated for the public good. The first child born in Washington County, he is an honor to the place of his birth.
ALPHEUS B. DICKENS, deceased was a well-known citizen of Washington County. He was born in Bedford County, Pa., March 4, 1825, and in consequence of the death of his father when he was but a small child, was thrown on his own resources and required to make his own living. His educational advantages were therefore limited, but in later life, by reading and thinking he became well informed on almost every topic of general interest. The early life of Mr. Dickens was spent in the East, but like thousands of others, with that restless energy that could not be controlled, in 1851, he came to Iowa and first located at Mt. Pleasant, Henry County. In 1852, he came to Washington County, where he resided till his death, which occurred March, 16, 1887. On coming to this county, he formed a partnership with Jonathan H. Wilson in the stock business, while at the same time he entered a tract of land and began farming, but turned his attention more especially to the stock feature of that business, in which he seemed eminently qualified.
Here in Washington, Mr. Dickens formed the acquaintance of Miss Hester W. Ashby, born in Preston County, W. Va., in April, 1825, and daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth (Wilson) Ashby, who were pioneers of this county. (See sketch of Jesse Ashby.) the acquaintance thus formed soon ripened into love, and on the 6th of January, 1853, they were united in marriage. Four children were born to themJulia E., Milton E., Priscilla and Cora M. Mr. Dickens came to this county in limited circumstances, but by industry and economy, assisted by a loving wife, he accumulated considerable
property, having at his death 260 acres of fine land in Washington County and 700 acres in Kansas and Nebraska.
In early life Mr. Dickens was a Whig, but in later years a Republican. Religiously, he was for many years s member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, serving as Class-Leader and Steward. In Church work he took great delight, being zealous, and having a strong desire to advance the cause in every way. A student of the Bible, and the doctrines of the Church, he made an exceptionally good Class-Leader. In all his dealings with his fellow-men he was honest and upright. His death was sadly mourned, not alone by a kind and faithful wife and loving children, but by a host of friends. Mrs. Dickens and her family reside in Washington, and enjoy the confidence and esteem of all who know them.
SAMUEL MANATT, farmer, stock-grower and merchant, section 2, township 77 north, range 8 west, is one of the large land-owners of the county, having 900 acres, all fenced and improved except 150 acres of timber. He was born in Holmes County, Ohio, July 17, 1833, and is a son of William and Martha Manatt, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter of Pennsylvania. In 1846 Samuel emigrated with his parents to Iowa, coming by team, leaving Ohio October 8, and arriving in Iowa in the latter part of November. The family settled in Washington County on a rented farm, and in 1849 bought a farm on section 4, Lime Creek Township, where his father continued to reside until his death, which occurred Nov. 3, 1876, at the age of seventy-nine. Martha Manatt survived her husband, and died Sept. 3, 1883. There were seven children in this family, three boys and four girls: Robert was married, and died Oct. 3, 1881; Susannah was the wife of L. M. Pattison, and died in Washington County; Catherine became the wife of W. N. Rogers, and is living in Kansas; Mary, the wife of J. W. Pattison, now living in Missouri; Samuel was next in order of birth; W. M. is a resident of English River Township; and Eliza is the wife of J. W. McCormick, of Lime Creek Township.
Our subject was married, Oct. 30, 1858, in the village of Richmond, Iowa, to Miss Mary Jane Britton, daughter of William and Margaret Britton. She was born in Indiana, and came to Iowa with her parents when an infant. Mr. and Mrs. Manatt are the parents of eleven living children: Tilla A., born Aug. 24, 1859; Scott E., July 7, 1861; Clement V., Feb. 28, 1863; Florence E., March 25, 1865; William B., Aug. 30, 1867; Margaret L., Jan. 2, 1871; Samuel T., Nov. 7, 1872; Mary O., Dec. 29, 1875; Guy E., July 14, 1878; Odin, Oct. 16, 1880; Roswell V., Sept. 11, 1883. The two eldest children are married: Tilla is the wife of E. A. Carpenter, of Kalona, Iowa; Scott E. married Eva Morgan, also living in Kalona. Mr. Manatt established a general merchandise business at Kalona, which is managed by his son, Scott E., and his son-in-law, E. A. Carpenter.
Our subject has held various township offices, and is independent in politics. Clement V. graduated from the law department of the State University in 1886, and was admitted to the bar. He is now practicing law at Washington, Iowa. Mr. Manatt is a man of liberal ideas, and one of the most successful farmers and business men of Washington County.
W. A. MOORE is a prominent farmer and stock-raiser, residing upon section 20, Cedar Township. He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1835, and is the son of John and Margaret (Walker) Moore, the former a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, and the latter of Brooks County, W. Va. In 1866 the family moved to Washington County, Iowa, where the father purchased a farm on section 18, Cedar Township, where he lived until his death, which occurred May 5, 1877, at the age of sixty-seven. The mother died in 1875, at the age of sixty-five years. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The subject of this sketch, William A. Moore, resided with his parents until his marriage, which occurred in December, 1869, with Miss Maggie C. Dayton, a native of Virginia, and the daughter of James and Martha (Moore) Dayton, who were also natives of Virginia, the latter being of English descent.
Two children have been born unto them: J. Bruce, Sept. 27, 1870, and Charles W., Feb. 3, 1876. The first purchase of land by Mr. Moore was 159 acres on section 20, where he still continues to reside. To his original purchase he has since added until he is now the owner of 325 acres, all of which is under a high state of cultivation, with improvements of the better class. The dwelling-house was erected at a cost of $2,500, and a barn at a cost of $1,000.
Mr. Moore has been quite successful as a farmer, and is regarded as one of the best in Cedar Township. quiet and unobtrusive in his nature, he is yet able to express himself intelligently upon all questions of public interest. Politically, he is a Republican. Religiously, he and his wife are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1876, the Centennial year, he traveled extensively through Canada, Virginia, Maryland and Ohio, visiting New York City, Philadelphia, and other places of interest, including Niagara Falls. The trip was one of great pleasure to him. The father of Mrs. Moore, James Dayton, was a soldier in the War of 1812. By occupation he was a farmer. He died when Mrs. Moore was but a small girl. Her mother died in 1862, aged sixty-five. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN GRAHAM, capitalist, of Washington, Iowa, is one among the few pioneers of Washington County who yet remain. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Washington County, April 22, 1806. Samuel Graham, the father of our subject, was born in Chester County, Pa., and at a very early day settled in Washington, driving a five-horse team at the time of his settlement farther west than had ever before been done by a white man. In the heavy timber of that section he cleared a farm, and in due time was married to Rachel Jeffrey, a native of Washington County. Three children were born unto them, one of whom, a daughter, died at seven years of age. Two grew to be adults, and are yet living, Mary, who married Thomas Hodgins, and is now living in Washington County, Pa.; and John, the subject of this sketch. The mother died in 1812, when John was but six years of age, and his father subsequently married Hannah Way, by whom he had three children, who are yet living. Samuel Graham died in 1850, at a good old age.
John Graham comes of Revolutionary stock, his grandfathers Graham and Jeffrey having been soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Reared in the wilds of Western Pennsylvania, at a time when it was but thinly settled, and but little better than a wilderness, the advantages for improvement were not of the best. As soon as physically able, he was made acquainted with hard work, and that familiarity, it may well be said, has clung to him through life. A few short terms of school in the old log school-house, with its puncheon floor, greased paper window lights, and old fashioned fireplace, comprised it all. Free schools in those days were unknown, and money was too scarce to hire first-class instructors for the youth of that section, and if one advanced in school to the "simple rule of three," he was doing well; if to the "double rule of three," he was considered a bright scholar, and an excellent future was predicted for him.
As the years went by stories of the great country of the Mississippi Valley, with a soil and climate unsurpassed, were told to those Eastern people, and the subject of this sketch, among others, determined to emigrate and see for himself. Accordingly, in 1838, he came out, attended the land sales at Burlington, and purchased a half section of land in Van Buren County, Iowa, and noting the location of his land, he returned to Pennsylvania, where he had been and was still engaged in wool-growing, in which he was quite successful. In 1839, he came to Washington County, and visited James Dawson, whom he had met in Van Buren County the previous year. While here he purchased a claim of 400 acres of a man by the name of Holcomb, in what is now Brighton Township, of which land he is yet the owner. After purchasing this clam he went to Van Buren County, where he erected a small cabin of peeled hickory, on the land purchased at the Burlington land sales. This land he improved, and then began to purchase other tracts as he secured the means and as a favorable opportunity was offered him for investment.
In his native State he had acquired a reputation for honesty and strict integrity, and was therefore enabled to borrow all the money he needed or could profitably use in buying land. He continued to buy and sell for many years, and at one time was the owner of 15,000 acres, much of which has since been sold, but he yet owns over 2,000 acres in Washington County.
Mr. Graham became a citizen of this county in 1870, where he has since continued to reside. In the fall of 1874, he went to Ohio, and on the 29th of September of that year, was united in marriage with Miss Bell Davis, a daughter of William Davis. She was a native of Ohio, born in Belmont County. Three children were born to them: John, who died in 1878; William Henry, now aged eight years, and Samuel Hodgins, aged three years. Mrs. Graham passed to the other life Oct. 20, 1886. Her death was a sad blow to the husband and children. She was a woman of excellent habits, a dutiful wife and good mother. In early life she was a Baptist in her Church relations, but on coming to Washington she became identified with the United Presbyterian Church. No one was more universally respected, and to her memory her husband has placed over her grave in the beautiful cemetery at Washington, a fine monument, erected at a cost of $1,000. She is now at rest, but on the shore is "waiting, only waiting," for the loved ones who yet remain. On her death, her bereaved husbandhad printed a number of "In memory" cards for distribution among friends, on which was printed the following:
"Loving friends, weep not for me;
I long to be at rest.
How happy, happy I shall be,
When pillowed on my Savior's breast."
" 'Twas sad to see thee breathe thy last,
But Jesus lovingly said Come."
Now thy sufferings are all past,
And thy sweet spirit rests at home.
"Oh! the hope, the hope is sweet,
That we soon in heaven may meet,
There we all shall happy be,
rest, from pain and sorrow free."
John Graham commenced life a poor man, but by industry and economy he has accumulated a large fortune. Strictly honest in all things, he has ever had the confidence of his fellow-citizens. While of a somewhat conservative nature, when he is convinced that any enterprise is for the public good he has always been willing to contribute liberally of his means. He gave a handsome sum in aid of the academy at Washington, and also for the fine opera house in Washington which was built in 1884. All in all, the example of John Graham is worthy to be followed by the youth of the land. Excellent portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Graham, together with their babe, are presented in connection with this sketch.
John Graham Jr. (pg.349)
Mrs. Belle D. Graham (pg. 349)