ROBERT SMITH, section 6, Dutch Creek Township, is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. He was born in Miller Township, Knox Co., Ohio, Oct. 15, 1821, and is the son of Benjamin F. and Phoebe (Byerly) Smith, who were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in 1800, and the latter in 1802. They were the parents of seven children, the following of whom are yet living: Christina, the widow of H. K. Smoots, residing in Mt. Vernon, Ohio; J. F., a farmer and shoemaker in Licking County, the same State; and May J., the wife of Justice Wick, a banker in Youngstown, Ohio. the family were brought up in the Presbyterian Church, and all were acceptable members and useful workers in that body. The father died in 1846, in Knox County, Ohio, and the mother in Westmoreland County, Pa., in 1863.
The early life of Robert was spent on a farm, and attending the district schools of that day. He remained at home until twenty-eight years of age, and was then united in marriage with Miss J. McClintock, a native of Licking County, Ohio, born Feb. 28, 1824, and daughter of John and Mary (Fulton) McClintock. They were natives of Pennsylvania and settled in Licking County, Ohio, about the year 1820. They were the parents of eight children, of whom six are living: Eliza, the wife of Calvin Johnson, a farmer residing in Page County, Iowa; Nancy, the widow of Josiah Gregory, lives in Burlington, Kan.; Jane, the wife of our subject; J. P., a farmer in Lyon County, Kan.; W. W. a farmer in Licking County, Ohio, and
O. P., a farmer in Coffey County, Kan. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of five children: Clarissa, born Nov. 25, 1849, is the wife of A. R. Malcom, a farmer in Carroll County, Ind.; John F., a farmer, born May 16, 1854, married Miss Allie Jeffrey, and resides in Clay County, Kan.; Mary A., born Oct. 25, 1857, died Sept. 10, 1860; Robert F., born April 27, 1860, married Miss K. D. Rankin, of this county, who war born April 22, 1862; Joseph S., born Dec. 16, 1864, married Miss Alma Seeton, a daughter of Joseph Seeton, Keokuk County.
On the 24th of September, 1860, Mr. Smith left his native State for Mercer County, Ill., where he located and remained until 1864, when he traded some land that he owned in Kansas for his present farm in Dutch Creek Township. He is now the owner of 243 acres of well-improved land. All that he has is the result of his own personal effort, assisted by his estimable wife. In 1885 Mr. and Mrs. S. visited their old home in Ohio, for the first time in twenty years. They could scarcely realize the changes that were made; the familiar faces of many that were known in early life were missed; of some, they found their names recorded on the tombstones in the cemetery, while others had moved away as they had done, and were now making homes in other places.
In educational and other matters, Mr. Smith has always been greatly interested. Politically he is a Republican, and has been honored with the various township offices. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, of which body his wife and entire family are also members. Few persons enjoy the respect and good-will of their friends and neighbors more than Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith.
A. H. WATERHOUSE, Principal of the public schools, Brighton, is the son of John H. and Minerva (Hanna) Waterhouse, the former of whom is deceased. He was native of Vermont, in which State he was born in 1830. At an early age he was brought West by his parents, who settled in Berrien County, Mich. Her John H. grew to manhood, and lived until his death in 1862. The mother is a native of Ohio and was born in 1830. Not many years after her birth she came with her parents to settle in St. Joseph County, Ind., which was then a comparatively new country. John H. Waterhouse and Minerva Hanna were married in 1854, and made Berrien County, Mich., their home. Of this union were born four children: Esther died in Infancy; Herbert A.; Archibald H., the subject of this sketch, and John H., who died in 1882 from the effect of an accidental gunshot wound received while hunting. In the year 1862 the father died, leaving the mother the care of the three boys. With a mother's determination, she kept her children together during the hard years of the war, and in 1866 she was married to A. H. McClain, of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. For eleven years Mr. and Mrs. McClain lived in Indiana, but in 1877 they moved to Washington County, where they have since resided. A. H. McClain is now one of the substantial farmers of Clay Township. Four sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. A. H. McClainElmore E., James W., Abraham F. and Ernest D. These all live with their parents two miles west of Brighton.
Herbert A., the oldest brother, also lives in Clay Township, and is by occupation a farmer. The next son, Archibald H., is the subject of this sketch. From early life he had a desire to enter one of the professions, but like many another poor boy, has found rather a thorny road to travel. He attended the country schools of Indiana during the winter months until seventeen years of age. Then began teaching, and going to college, he entered the Northern Indiana Normal at Valparaiso in 1876, but was forced to leave in his Junior year. He began the study of law in 1878 in the office of Holmes & Reynolds, at Boone, Iowa, and read with them until 1879, but was then forced to quit and go to teaching. In 1880 and 1881 he attended the law school at Ann Arbor, Mich. Since then he has continued his studies in the offices of L. E. Kinne, at Anne Arbor; Wile & Osborne, at La Porte, Ind., and L. W. Reynolds, at Boone, Iowa. In 1882 he was admitted to the bar in LaPorte, Ind., by Judge Noyes.
In 1883 our subject was elected Principal of the Brighton schools and has held the position four
years. During that time the schools were raised to a standard not excelled in that county. Mr. Waterhouse designs to quit teaching in the spring of 1888, and begin the practice of law in Washington. He was married, Aug. 30, 1887, to MIss Etta R. Lackey, youngest daughter of the Rev. John Lackey, of Washington. He is a member of the Christian Church.
STEPHEN HAYDEN, a farmer and stock-raiser, resides on section 13, Oregon Township, where he owns 117 acres of land, which is well improved in every respect. He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, June 6, 1829, and is the son of Lot and Margaret (Simpson) Hayden, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and of German descent; the latter a native of Indiana and of Irish descent. In 1844 the family came to Iowa and settled one mile west of Burlington, where they remained one year, and then came to Washington County, and settled on section 26, Oregon Township, where Mrs. Hayden died n 1878 at the age of seventy-four, and Mr. Hayden in 1880, at the age of seventy-nine. They reared a family of eight children: Charity, now residing in Louisa County, Iowa; Jane, residing in this county; Priscilla, in Missouri; Stephen and Elizabeth of this county; Mary, of Kansas, and Margaret and Louisa, also of this county.
Lot Hayden was a soldier in the War of 1812, and on coming to this county entered 160 acres of land with a land warrant secured for service in that war. In early life he worked at the trade of blacksmithing, but after coming to Washington County he engaged exclusively in farming. He was one of the greatest hunters in the West, having, it is thought, killed more deer than any other man living in Washington County. During one fall he killed forty-seven deer. In his death the county lost one of its best citizens, and the family a kind and indulgent parent. Coming to this county at an early day, he lived to see the great changes that were made in transforming it from a wild state to one of the best improved counties in the State of Iowa.
Stephen Hayden, the subject of this sketch, was reared upon a farm, and as a farmer has spent his entire life. He has been twice married; his first wife was Rebecca J. Kell, to whom he was married in this county in 1859. She died in 1866, leaving two children, Anna F., the wife of Ormond Jackson, of Ida County, Iowa; and the mother of two childrenStephen O. and Clara B.; and Charity L., the wife of Howard Carringer, of Lane County, Kan., and the mother of four childrenMary F., Jennie L., Laura M., and Frankie, deceased.
Mr. Hayden's second wife was Monica J. Robb; they were married in 1867. She is the daughter of Andrew and Margaret Robb, and is a native of Ohio, born Dec. 20, 1830. Mr. and Mrs. Hayden are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat. Mr. Hayden commenced life in very limited circumstances, but by hard labor, economy and good management, assisted by his good wife, he has acquired a nice property, and is regarded as one of the thrifty and enterprising citizens of Washington County.
ISAAC LEIGHTON, deceased, was a farmer and stock-raiser, residing on section 26, Lime Creek Township. He was born in Augusta, Me., July 30, 1811, and was a son of Ephraim and Esther (Tibbetts) Leighton, who were also natives of Maine. He grew to manhood in his native State, and in his youth learned the mason's trade, which he followed for a number of years.
On the 4th of July, 1837, our subject was united in marriage with Permelia Lancaster, born in Maine, Oct. 4, 1814, and daughter of Elihu and Sarah (Tucker) Lancaster, both of whom were also natives of Maine, where they died many years ago. In 1839, Mr. Leighton removed with his family to Exeter, N.Y., and in 1843 came to Washington County, locating on the farm where his widow still lives, and where he resided until his death, which occurred Aug. 17, 1881. His body was interred in Wassonville Cemetery. On coming to this county Mr. Leighton entered his land from the Government, and at once commenced the improvement of his farm. He was a pioneer among
pioneers, and when he landed in Washington County had but $14 cash capital; but he was a man of strength and will, and therefore success crowned his efforts.
To Mr. and Mrs. Leighton were born the following children: Charlotte, born April 30, 1838, in the State of Maine, is now the wife of E. W. Carpenter, a farmer in Dawson County, Neb.; S. T., a sketch of whom appears in this connection, was born near Parkman, Me., Feb. 6, 1840; Marian, born March 30, 1842, in Cattaraugas County, N.Y., is the wife of T. J. Allen, of Wellman; Lyman C., born Sept. 4, 1847, died Feb. 18, 1852; Alice J., born May 24, 1852, is the wife of D. W. Wolf, a farmer in Seventy-Six Township; E. L. died in infancy; July 7, 1853; Delphina S., born in Washington County, Oct. 17,1 856, was married, Sept. 29, 1887, to Allen McElwaine. Mrs. Leighton is highly regarded in the neighborhood where she resides. Abut twelve years ago she and her husband visited their old home in Augusta, Me. On that visit she could well realize the great changes that are being constantly made. Faces that she desired to see had disappeared; some were buried in the old churchyard, while others, like herself, had found homes in a new country. While many pleasing memories were recalled, she was yet glad to get back to her Iowa home, where she awaits the summons that comes to all. Isaac Leighton made a second visit to the East in the spring of 1881.
S. T. Leighton, farmer and stock-raiser, who resides on section 26, Lime Creek Township, near the old home, was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools, and grew to manhood in this county. On Sept. 24, 1861, when men were needed to suppress the rebellion, he enrolled his name as a private in Co. F, 11th Iowa Vol. Inf., and served until the close of the war. The regiment rendezvoused at Davenport, thence was sent to Benton Barracks Mo., and from there to Jefferson City, where it was divided, part being sent to Fulton, and part to Boonville, Mo. Reuniting early in the spring of 1862, the regiment was sent to Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., where it took part in the battle of Shiloh, after which it was in the second battle of Corinth, siege of Vicksburg, and many other engagements during the war. From Vicksburg it was sent out to Black River, under Gen. Sherman, to look after the rebel General Johnston. In the spring of 1864 it was in the Meridian campaign, after which it was sent back to Vicksburg, where the regiment verteranized and received a thirty days' furlough. Mr. Leighton improved the time in visiting his parents and friends in Washington County, and then rejoined his regiment at Davenport, Iowa. The regiment saw severe service in the Atlanta campaign, and finally, with their comrades, compelled the evacuation of that city.
While near Lovejoy Station our subject received a wound from a spent ball, striking him in the temple, and ranging upward, lodged under his scalp. The ball was removed and given to Mr. Leighton, who keeps it as a relic of the war. Rejoining his regiment which had been united to the main army, Mr. Leighton was with Sherman on his famous march to the sea, from Beaufort, S.C., marching through South Carolina, arriving at Columbia on February 16; thence through South and North Carolina, and Virginia, to Washington,w here it formed a part in the grand review by the great commander, U. S. Grant. From Washington it was sent to Parkersburg, Va., thence to Louisville, Ky., where the regiment was mustered out and sent to Davenport, Iowa, for final discharge. Mr. Leighton received his discharge July 17, 1865, after faithfully serving three years and ten months. Returning home, he at once resumed his old occupation of a farmer, in which business he is still engaged.
In 1873 S. T. Leighton married Miss Jane Wellman, a native of Vermillion County, Ind., born Aug. 22, 1853, and daughter of Joseph and Lucy (McDowell) Wellman. They are the parents of six children: Elmer A., born Nov. 8, 1874; Esther L., Oct. 31, 1876; Walter L., Dec. 10, 1877; Wilbur S., May 8, 1881; Isaac W., July 16, 1885, and Morris M., Aug. 4, 1887. In the spring of 1879, Mr. Leighton removed to Dakota and took up a homestead of 160 acres of land. He remained in Dakota eighteen months, then sold out and returned to Washington County on account of the failing health of his father. He bought eighty acres of land near the old farm,w here he has since continued to reside, and which is well improved in every respect. Mr. Leighton is well and favorably
known throughout his township. He is a member of Dayton Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and of the Ed Hamilton Post No. 112, G.A.R., of Wellman, Iowa. Politically he is a Republican.
BENJAMIN SMITH, section 13, Dutch Creek Township, is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. He was born Sept. 29, 1820, in Franklin County, Ohio, and is the son of George and Sarah Smith, who were natives of New Jersey. The were the parents of the following children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the oldest: Hezekiah, born Oct. 19, 1822; Galilah, May 13, 1825; Mary A., May 21, 1827; Gabriel, Oct. 6, 1829; Joshua, July 21, 1831; Elizabeth, Sept. 14, 1833, and Ira, Feb. 24, 1837. Of this number, Galilah, Gabriel, Joshua and Ira are deceased.
The subject of this sketch remained at home and assisted his father upon the farm until he was twenty-four years of age, receiving his education in the district schools. In 1844 he was united in marriage with Miss Hettie Holland, a native of Delaware, born Feb. 4, 1832, and daughter of Isaac and Mary (Mustard) Holland, of English ancestry. Her mother died when she was quite young. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Smith rented a farm, and as a renter continued until 1851, when he purchased forty-six acres of land which he cultivated for five years. Having a chance to sell to a good advantage, he did so, and in 1856 came to Washington County, and bought 100 acres of land in Dutch Creek Township, built a house, and otherwise improved the same, and has since added thirty-eight acres, having now a farm of 138 acres of good land, all of which is under cultivation and well improved. In addition to the purchase made for himself, Mr. Smith has assisted his sons in acquiring good homes.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of the following children, all sons: Wesley, born Oct. 2, 1844; Josiah, born Jan. 17, 1846, enlisted in the 39th Iowa Infantry during the war, was killed in battle at Atlanta, Ga., Sept. 4, 1864, and sleeps in an unknown grave in the Sunny South; Marion, born Oct. 24, 1847, is now engaged in farming in Story County, Iowa; Allen, born Dec. 26, 1850, died Feb. 29, 1876; Francis, born Oct. 10, 1853, is engaged in farming in Dutch Creek Township, and George, born May 18, 1858.
Benjamin Smith is a self-made man, and all that he now possesses was acquired by his own exertions assisted by his good wife. They have been hardworking and economical people, and now, as their race of life is nearly run, are living to enjoy the fruits of honest toil. They are members of the Baptist Church, and are highly esteemed for their Christian virtues. Politically, Mr. Smith is a Democrat.
"MAPLE GROVE," HOME OF LIEUT. EYESTONE
SEC. 1. SEVENTY SIX TOWNSHIP
J. W. EYESTONE is a prominent farmer residing n section 1, Seventy-Six Township. He is a native of Rush County, Ind., born in 1837, and is the son of John and Alice Eyestone, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Kentucky. The family came to this county in June, 1845, and located in Cedar Township. Here our subject grew to manhood and was educated in the common schools of this county. He remained at home with his parents until the war of the Rebellion commenced, when he enlisted as a private in Co. K, 13th Iowa Vol. Inf., and served his country till the close of the war.
As is probably well known to the readers of this volume, the 13th Iowa formed part of Crocker's Iowa Brigade, and did probably as much hard service as any regiment during the war. Mr. Eyestone was promoted First Sergeant Dec. 20, 1862, near Oxford, Miss., and Lieutenant at Lake Providence, La., Feb. 2, 1863, and served as such till the close of the war. He was in many of the most noted battles in the West, including those of Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, the sieges of Vicksburg and Atlanta. In one of the engagements before Atlanta, on the 22d of July, 1864, he was taken prisoner, and was confined in various rebel prisons, including Macon, Charleston, Columbia and Charlotte, for seven months and eight days. He was the paroled for exchange near Wilmington, N. C., March 1, 1865, and was sent to Annapolis, Md., where he remained
in parole camp until his discharge, April 28, 1865.
On receiving his discharge, Lieut. Eyestone returned to his home in Washington County, and on the 12th of October, 1865, was united in marriage with Miss M. A. Gardner, a native of Franklin County, Ohio, and daughter of James and Eliza A. (Martin) Gardner. Nine children were born to them, of whom one died in infancy. Those living are Ralph E., J. Bruce, Mary J., Maggie L., Carrie A., John W., Eunice May and Grace Lillie. Mr. and Mrs. Eyestone are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, he is a Republican of the stalwart kind. In his business career he has been quite successful. His first purchase of land was made in 1868, when he bought 160 acres on section 1, Seventy-Six Township, which he improved, until to-day it is one of the finest farms in Washington County. He has added to his original purchase until he now owns 280 acres, all of which is under a high state of cultivation. The farm buildings were erected at a cost of about $5,000. Starting in life without a dollar, at the age of twenty-one, all that he owns has been secured through his own efforts, assisted by his estimable wife. In addition to general farming, he is engaged quite extensively in stock-raising, keeping a high grade of Short-horn cattle, together with Poland-China hogs. Of the latter he turns off about $1,500 worth per year. While never aspiring office, he has yet been honored by his fellow-townsmen with various township offices. As a citizen, no man ranks higher in Washington County.
A fine view of the residence of Mr. Eyestone will be found in this connection. When looking upon the picture, the young men of this day may form an idea of what may be acquired by any man who has a willing mind, and who will work for the same end.
DAVID B. DEY, Brighton, is one of the early settlers of Washington County. He is the son of Lewis and Mary (Bard) Dey, and was born in Monmouth County, N.J., March 14, 1812. His grandfather, David Bard, held a commission as Captain in the Revolutionary War, and served as such until its close. In 1825, Lewis Dey emigrated with his family from Monmouth County, N.J., to Franklin County, Ohio, where he subsequently died. Of the nine children of Lewis and Mary Dey, five are yet living: David B., our subject; Mary, the widow of Thomas Abercrombie, now living in Schuyler County, Ill.; Lewis resides in Seward County, Neb., Richard is a resident of this county, and Sarah is the wife of Henry E. Wycoff, of Jefferson County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Dey were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. After the death of Mr. Dey, Mrs. Dey married Lewis Boyer, an old Revolutionary soldier, at one time one of Washington's body guard.
The subject of this sketch went to Ohio in 1825, and there worked upon his father's farm during the summer months, and attended school for three months during the winter. He was married in Shelby County, Ohio, in 1835, to Miss Mary Blackwood, a daughter of Joseph and Esther (Cree) Blackwood; the former was a native of Ireland, but was reared in Pennsylvania. They were the parents of seven children, four of whom are living: William, now residing in Wayne County, Ohio; Mary, the wife of our subject; Margaret, the wife of Thomas Scillan, of Shelby County, Ohio, and Eliza, the wife of Henry Young, of Quincy, Mich. Mr. and Mrs. Blackwood were members of the Presbyterian Church, and both died in Ohio. In 1845, Mr. Dey came with his family to Washington County, Iowa, and located on section 29, Brighton Township, and there improved a farm on which he remained until 1875, when he came to Brighton, and has since been living a retired life.
Mr. and Mrs. Dey are the parents of seven children: Margaret A., deceased; Lewis E., a farmer in Norton County, Kan.; Mary, the wife of John Holipeter, of Mexico, Mo.; Sarah, the wife of David M. Robinson, of Norton County, Kan.; Lydia C., the wife of Charles A. Cooper, of Keokuk County, Iowa; Joseph S., an attorney-at-law, of Wellington, Kan., and William S., a teacher in Des Moines County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Dey are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are numbered among the oldest members of that Church in Brighton Township; both take an active interest in
Church work. In early life, Mr. Dey was a Whig of the Henry Clay stamp, but has voted with the Republican party since its organization. At the time they came to Washington County, there were bands of Indians passing and repassing from time to time and the country was full of wild game.
When Mr. Dey landed in this county, his total cash capital was fifty cents. By hard work and strict economy, assisted by his good wife, he has accumulated a competency, and they are now resting from their hard labors, and living a retired life in the beautiful village of Brighton. For nearly half a century they have been citizens of the county, and in all the changes that have taken place from the day they landed here until the present, they have been eye witnesses and active participants. As pioneers, those enduring the toils and privations of that early day, they are entitled to the respect of the younger generation. None enjoy the respect and confidence of their fellow-citizens in a greater degree.
JOHN McCALL, farmer and stock-raiser, resides upon section 21, Washington Township. He was born near Knoxville, Tenn., Jan. 1, 1819, and is a son of William C. and Rachel (Ragan) McCall. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812. In 1835 the family left Tennessee and settled in Carroll County, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. William C. McCall were the parents of nine children, three of whom are now living: John, the subject of this sketch; Nancy J., the wife of James G. Malcolm, of Carroll County, Ind., and Mary E., the widow of J. E. McNey, who resides in Washington. In politics, Mr. McCall was originally a Whig, but with strong anti-slavery tendencies. He and his wife were both members of the Seceders' Church, of which body he was a Ruling Elder for many years. The mother died in 1847, and the father in 1867.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and was educated in a pioneer log cabin. In 1855 he left Indiana and went to Freeport, Stevenson Co., Ill., where he remained three years, and then went to Winterset, Madison Co., Iowa. In 1863 he came to Washington County, where he has since continued to reside. In 1878 he was married to Miss Lizzie Nelson, a daughter of William Nelson, one of the pioneers of this county. By this union there are three childrenWilliam R., John Harvey and Emma Belle. Mr. and Mrs. McCall are members of the Associate Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican. As citizens, friends and neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. McCall are highly esteemed and enjoy the respect of the entire community.