Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Volume 1 map

History of

Pottawattamie County

Iowa

Volume I

1907

top image
next page
previous page
home page

divider bardivider bar

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

DR. DONALD MACRAE.

The Grim Reaper the past year was very busy in Council Bluffs. In addition to several prominent persons previously named, Dr. Donald Macrae, eminent as a physician and surgeon, passed away.

He was a native of Scotland, born October 3, 1839, came to Council Bluffs in March, 1867, and practiced his profession up to within a short time previous to his death, which occurred on the 14th of August. He also took a lively interest in public affairs and was elected and served one term as mayor of the city.

His wife, who was a daughter of Joseph Bouchette, surveyor general of Canada, preceded him, dying in March, 1904. He was the father of the present mayor, Dr. Donald Macrae, now serving his second term.

On the night of July 28 two policemen were shot in attempting to arrest a burglar. One of them, George W. Wilson, lived but a few hours. The other, William H. Richardson, although shot through the chest, has nearly recovered. The burglar escaped in the darkness.

On the 10th of August Peter Bechtel, another of Council Bluffs' respected citizens of long standing, died at the age of eighty. He came here in 1868, engaged in the hotel business, was prosperous for years, built a fine modern hotel and an elegant residence, but in his old age was overtaken, by misfortune and lost all, save his honor, and, added to this, he was afflicted with loss of sight. He left his venerable wife and one son and daughter.

Politically Pottawattamie county, previous to the war, was democratic. During that period the opposition to the war by leaders of the democratic party caused many to change to the republican columns, so that since that time the county at large has been republican by far the largest part of the time, while in the city it has been somewhat different. Of the thirty men, who have filled the office of mayor, the first one was a whig. This was before the birth of the repu41ican party. Since that time thirty-two years have been under democratic administrations, while the republicans have had but nineteen. Of these, four have been soldiers, Cochran, Carson, Keatley and Macrae, Jr. Two brothers, John and Caleb Baldwin, have held the position. Also father and son, being the two Drs. Macrae. Of these, nine are living, being Vaughan, Bowman, Evans, Rohrer, Groneweg, Carson, Jennings, Morgan and Macrae. One, John Chapman, died in office.

Taken as a whole, it would be hard to find a more honorable set of officials. In only one or two instances did the odor of graft attach to any of them, and, however they may have differed as to the means, they had the welfare of their city at heart.

Morally and religiously it is perhaps neither better nor worse than other cities of its size. The wheat and tares are still growing together, but we believe the wheat to be gaining. The street fair and carnival held in September was another success, netting over $3,000, which is to be expended in public improvements. The management announced that as the last to be given under their supervision.

The season now closing has been a very busy and prosperous one for

112

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

both city and county. In the city more buildings have been erected and more street paving done than in anyone year in its history.

Although Council Bluffs cannot as yet lay claim to being a manufacturing city, it is gradually taking steps in that direction as will be seen further along, where they are given special notice. At an early day Council Bluffs had a distillery and three breweries, but owing to unfriendly legislation, they have long been discontinued, but our sixty saloons find no difficulty in getting supplies from neighboring states. Whether this is to our advantage from either a moral, religious or commercial standpoint is still a debatable question. Only Geis' Bottlings Works is all that remains of a former large industry.

As considerable attention has been given to the cultivation of fruits, flowers and vegetables, we will proceed to notice some of the establishments engaged in this business; after which we will look at some of our infant manufactures.

J. F. WILCOX, FLORIST.

Prominent among the industries of Council Bluffs is that of floriculture. The largest of these establishments is that of Mr. J. F. Wilcox, on East Pierce street. This business was started back in the seventies by Mr. L. A. Casper, for whom the present proprietor worked for a number of years. Ever since the commencement of Mr. Casper the business has had a constant growth, and proved quite remunerative, so much so that by 1892 Mr. Casper was content to retire on a handsome fortune, and sold out to Mr. Wilcox, who has since conducted the business with the same skill and energy that has characterized its management from the beginning, until it has reached mammoth proportions. Four hundred and twenty-five thousand square feet of glass enter into the construction of the hot houses, while miles of piping is required for keeping the proper temperature. Besides this, he has an establishment just outside of the city, in Garner township, for supplying fresh vegetables at all seasons of the year. Altogether 5,000 tons of coal is consumed in a year to maintain the proper degree of warmth. The business h3$ become continental in extent, as, at his office at 521 West Broadway, orders are received from New York to Seattle, and from Minneapolis to St. Louis.

His residence at 1132 East Pierce street is one of the finest in the city.

HENRY J. MEYER, GARDENER AND FLORIST.

The above industry was started in 1885 by the father of the present proprietor. At first the business consisted of raising vegetables exclusively. Having five acres under cultivation, and furnishing fresh vegetables at all seasons of the year. During the year 1889 the elder Mr. Meyer died, since which time the business has been conducted by the son, above named, and to which he has added the raising of flowers. One acre has been devoted to this branch and enclosed with hot houses. Although this addition has been made but recently, one hundred and fifty tons of coal was required to keep the plant at the proper temperature. The raising of vegetables is contin-

113

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

ued, and in addition two acres have been set to raising choice varieties of grapes.

Fred L. Lainson, gardener, has 35,000 square feet of glass in his hot houses at 1308 Canning street. Two eighty horse-power boilers force heat through three miles of piping, and requiring 1,000 tons of coal per annum to keep the right temperature.

His business is raising vegetables and supplying them fresh the year round at wholesale. So far he has not been able to supply the home market and that of Omaha, but is enlarging his plant, with a view of supplying the increasing demand.

MARKET GARDENING.

Thomas Capel started a market garden on East Pierce street in 1905 in a small way, but is compelled to enlarge; and at the present time (1907) he has 30,000 feet of glass in his hot houses, with one mile of piping, and requiring 250 tons of coal per annum to keep the proper temperature. The rapid growth of Omaha and Council Bluffs creates a great demand for these products, which they furnish the year round. His business being vegetables exclusively and has $10,000 invested in the plant.

HERMAN BROTHERS.

The above named firm started business in 1905, on .the corner of Twenty-ninth street and Ninth avenue. They make a specialty of cut flowers, which they furnish at wholesale and retail.

Although started but two years ago, their greenhouse has 40,000 feet of glass, the main building being 250x100 feet, besides office and packing rooms. They ship as far east as Chicago and west as far as Denver. They employ six persons besides themselves and families. It takes eight hundred tons of coal per annum to maintain the proper temperature.

The value of the plant at present is $30,000.

GRAPE GROWERS' ASSOCIATION.

Fruit raising during the early settlement of the county was not attended with much success. At first the young trees would kill out during the winters, some of which were severe, but the real cause was found to be the long distance from which they were brought.

A few of the pioneers, however, had faith, notably Mr. Terry, of Crescent; Mr. McDonald, of Kane; Mr. Cooledge, of Mills, and later, Mr. Raymond, of Garner, also Mr. Rice of Kane. Nurseries were started and fruit raising became infectious until at this time a farm without an orchard or vineyard, or both, is the exception. In a few years the crop more than supplied the home market, and steps were taken to find others.

In 1891 a number of the fruit growers incorporated for mutual benefit with a capital of $1,000. A building was rented temporarily in which to handle the crop and they began shipping. The business grew and in 1905

114

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

the company elected a warehouse 36x60 feet of two stories and basement, in which the business was conducted for two years.

In the spring of 1907 the company was reincorporated with a capital stock of $35,000 under the name of the Grape Growers' Association, with J. A. Aulabaugh, president; Alex. Wood, vice-president and chairman of the board of directors; J. J. Hess, secretary, and Charles Konigmacher, treasurer. The warehouse built, not being sufficient, an additional one has been added, 60x160 feet. This also is of brick, two stories and basement. The shipping facilities are of the best, being located on the Great Western track. The company has reliable agents in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Denver, Pueblo, Duluth and Salt Lake, besides intermediate points.

The new warehouse above mentioned is probably the strongest in the city. It is already rented, to take effect as soon as the grape season closes, for storage of 150 carloads or 7,500,000 pounds of sugar.

Among the leading fruit growers of western Pottawattamie are Rev. G. G. Rice, D. L. Royer, Robert McKinsey, A. Wood, D. J. Smith, W. T. Keeline, Harry Kingston, O. J. Smith, W. H. Kuhn, Mark L. Stageman, Chas. Konigmacher, Wm. Arnd, A. Rosner, J. W. Dorland, W. G. Rich, N. P. Dodge, Wm. Homburg, Anton Kerston, James Peterson, J. A. Alabaugh, .T. F. Gretzer, C. D. Parmale, John Johnson, M. R. Smith, Henry Sperling, G. C. Hansen, Peter Peterson, Miss Nance Avery, Dr. A. P. Hanchett, J. F. Wilcox and Charles Beno.

Old Cottonwood jail, Council Bluffs Old Cottonwood jail, Council Bluffs.
(Click on image for larger size)

THE CONSOLIDATED CONSTRUCTION COMPANY.

This company was incorporated in 1904 with a capital of $25,000. President, C. Hafer; secretary, W. W. Hafer; treasurer and manager, P. I. Van Order.

The business of this company is general contracting. Their business differs from that of most contractors in their keeping all material in stock for all the branches of building, commencing with the foundation, including stone, brick, lime, cement and sand; also a full line of hardware and paints, as well as all standard sizes of doors. and windows, and in addition it has a large factory equipped with the most improved machinery for mill work of every description, including planing, scroll and band sawing and turning. In connection with the lumber yard a full line of wire fencing is also kept. It also has its architect and skilled foremen in every department. An average of one hundred mechanics are employed and the payroll now amounts to $7,500 per month.

The business during the year of 1906 reached $200,000, and that of 1907, counting contracts' already made will reach $250,000 or over.

Among the buildings erected since starting are the residence of E. E. Hart, the Goodrich hotel, the Jennie Edmundson hospital.

The establishment occupies 400 feet front on Pierce street.

117

HISTORY OF POTTA W ATTAMIE COUNTY

E. CHILDREN'S SONS MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

Among the numerous industries operating in the city is one of E. Children's Sons Manufacturing Company. The business was started here in 1892 by E. Children and his two sons, who came here from Wisconsin and engaged in the manufacture of agricultural implements, and the business was conducted successfully for eight years under that management until the death of the father, which occurred June 13, 1900, having been constantly increasing and extending its business. After the death of the senior partner it was incorporated with F. R. Children as president; W. C. Children, treasurer, and E. G. Anderson, secretary, with a capital of $110,000. The principal articles manufactured at this time are cultivators, grain drills, sweep rakes, hay stackers, feed mills, elevators and dumps and horse powers. The location of the establishment is well suited to their business, leaving ample room for present or future needs, with trackage to facilitate shipping.

The main building is 200x50 feet and two stories in height. The foundry occupies a separate room of one story, being 100x50 feet, while the finishing and sales departments each have separate rooms 10Ox50 feet, of one story, while the power house is 50x50 feet and entirely disconnected with the other buildings.

All are of brick and great care is taken to keep the several departments separate as a protection against fire.

Nearby is a large lumber yard stocked with hardwood sawed at the mills to the dimensions required for the several different articles of their manufacture, and no part of which is permitted to be used until it has seasoned for two years. Jot is a hive of industry, where eighty men are employed, and their trade constantly increasing.

THE MONARCH MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

Incorporated with a capital of $50,000, the officers are: E. P. Searle, president; L. W. Kinyon, vice-president; H. A. Searle, secretary and treasurer, and F. H. Searle, superintendent.

The plant consists of a main brick two-story building, 100x50 feet, besides storage rooms, all located at the corner of Sixth street and Eleventh avenue.

The business consists in the manufacture of high-grade greases and lubricating oils. The location is fortunate in having trackage connecting with all the railroads entering the city.

KIMBALL BROTHERS COMPANY.

The above named brothers commenced business in Council Bluffs in 1892, in a small way, in the manufacture of weighing scales, freight and passenger, hand, electric and belt-power elevators.

The plant is situated on the corner of Ninth street and Eleventh avenue. The business grew and in 1900 was incorporated, with C. E. Kimball

118

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

as president; B. McInnerney, vice-president and manager, and W. H. Kimball, treasurer, with a paid-up capital of $100,000. All are practical mechanics and especially skilled in these specialties, so much so that they are at this time filling an order for two of their elevators to be shipped to New York city, also one to Cleveland, Ohio, and another to Pittsburg, Pa.

The way their business is increasing, they will soon require more room, their lot being but 200x130 feet. They have good shipping facilities, the Union Pacific, Rock Island and Milwaukee railroads passing their doors. On their payroll are seventy-five names.

SPRAGUE FOUNDRY AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

Among our manufacturing industries the Sprague Foundry and Manufacturing Company should not be overlooked.

It was established in 1885 on Third street, where it conducted a small business until 1893, when it succeeded the Ogden Iron Works, and in 1902 moved to its present quarters at Eleventh street and Third avenue, and incorporated with a paid-up capital of $25,000.

The officers are: President and treasurer, C. C. Sprague; vice-president and manager, R. M. Sprague; secretary, George S. Wright.

In addition to general foundry and machine work they have several specialties: among which are the Rose patent shaking grates, Western Underfeed furnaces, iron and brass castings and architectural iron work.

The business is growing and, though working forty men, they are behind with their orders.

The John T. Henderson Novelty Works is another industry, consisting largely in the manufacture of toys. Mr. Henderson is quite an inventor, making his own machinery, and has secured several valuable patents.

THE WALKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

This establishment located in the city in 1902, coming from Rock Island, Ill, and occupying the building on the southeast corner of Twelfth street and Ninth avenue, is engaged in the manufacture of farm machinery, consisting of furrow openers, disk sharpeners, wind mill regulators, stock waterers, hay bunchers, sweeps and stackers, woven wire fence, washing machines and other specialties. The main factory is 50x100 feet, with wing 50x50 feet, for foundry and powerhouse. At present time thirty men are employed besides a traveling salesman. The location affords ample facilities for shipping.

Peter Wind, contractor and builder, has a mill for planing, scroll and band sawing, all kinds of mouldings, turning and, in fact, doing all kinds of mill work required in the line of building; also has kiln for drying lumber. Has been one of the leading contractors for a quarter of a century. At this time has sixty men in his employ. Capital invested, $25,000.

The plant is located on the southwest corner of West Broadway and Thirteenth street.

119

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

KEYS BROTHERS, MANUFACTURERS.

A prominent building in the western part of the city is the factory of Keys Brothers, for the manufacturing of carriages, surreys, buggies, spring wagons, etc. They came in the winter of '88, and, after looking the ground over, considering the facilities for distribution of finished work, concluded to locate here, and the following spring purchased the ground and erected their main building, which is 160x60 feet, and four stories high. They at the same time secured ample ground for any enlargement that might be required. They were from Ohio and, in addition to their plant here, are largely interested in an establishment for doing the mill work required by modern usage. So far the enterprise has proved a success, as the demand for their work has increased each year. They have just added a wing to the main building, 58x52 feet, of three stories. These, with the houses and sheds for storing the materials, occupy two acres, and their shipping facilities are of the best.

The concern is incorporated with a paid-up capital of $100,000, with an average payroll of one hundred men.

On the 3d of September the above establishment was nearly destroyed by fire, but at this writing, October 24, is being rebuilt larger than before.

THE KRITCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

This company was incorporated in 1900 with a paid-up capital of $30,000.


The officers being: E. Kritchmer, president and treasurer; J. C. Kritchmer, vice-president, and George E. Smith, secretary.

The senior member. of the company had been for years engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of bee-keepers' supplies in a small way on his farm in Montgomery county, where he had made a study of the habits of the bee, and the best methods of profiting by its industry.

So successful were his efforts, that his growing business required larger facilities, both for manufacturing and shipping, and, after looking over several localities, he decided on its present location on Third street, near the Wabash freight depot, where it secured abundant room for buildings, lumber yard, etc., also trackage for bringing the raw material and shipping the finished product.

Since coming here it has added the manufacture of steel ,and wooden tanks. The main building is two stories, 100x90 feet, with the most approved machinery for making the bee supplies, while a smaller one, 25x60, is used in the tank work exclusively, both being hives of industry.

It is encouraging to learn that the bee supply work has proved so satisfactory that its sale is not confined to the home market, but that orders are already received and shipments made to foreign countries.

Thirty-five men are on the present payroll.

The Alfalfa Meal Company was incorporated in 1904 and is quite an

120

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

extensive concern. President, M. M. Breen; secretary and treasurer, J. T. Brooks. Capital, $80,000.

The plant is on, the northeast corner of Twelfth street and Ninth avenue. The main building is 100dOO feet of three stories, with storerooms adjoining, 100x90 feet, part of which is one and part two stories. The business is the manufacturing and sale of stock food. It employs on an average twenty-five men and finds ready sale for its products.

THE GROWERS' CANNING COMPANY.

The Growers' Canning Company is a corporation formed in 1905. Its officers are: Wm. Arnd, president; A. P, Hanchett, vice-president; J. J. Hess, secretary, and E. E. Hart, treasurer, with a paid-up capital of $25,000.

The purpose is the production of high-grade canned fruits and vegetables.

The plant is situated on the corner of Third street and Twelfth avenue and consists of a main building of two stories, 100x50 feet) besides storage rooms and platforms with all of the most approved modern appliances for prosecuting the work. During the active season it employs seventy-five people, and has a capacity for producing 65,000 cans per day.

BLOOMER ICE AND COLD STORAGE COMPANY.

In 1893 R. Ft. Bloomer commenced the manufacture of wire and flat fence, in a small way, employing a dozen men, and after getting fairly started, had the misfortune to be burned out, but rebuilt on the same ground, to which was added the manufacture of woven wire fence to the business, and was incorporated, enlarged and employed forty workmen, besides fifteen traveling salesmen.

In the spring of 1907 it was reincorporated as the Bloomer Ice and Cold Storage Company, with R. H. Bloomer, president; E. C. Smith, vice-president; Thomas Green, secretary, and Dr. A. P. Hanchett, treasurer, with a capital stock of $125,000, and adding the manufacture of artificial ice and operating a cold storage plant.

In establishing this the company has .just erected a six-story brick building, 100x86 feet, that has a capacity of 200 cars and requiring thirty tons of ice per day in maintaining a temperature from freezing point to 15 degrees below zero. Although this has but just started, it requires a force of thirty men, with every prospect of enlargement, and for which the company has abundant ground space and trackage.

THE JOHN G. WOODWARD COMPANY.

The above establishment is successor to the firm of Duquett & Co. and commenced business in its present quarters in 1895, in the manufacture of a general line of candies, with a capital of $50,000. The building in which the business was started was the three-story brick, known as the Mynster

121

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

building on West Broadway. The increase of business required additional room, and in 1899 a building 66x80 feet and four stories was added, also a fourth story was added to the original structure, besides packing, shipping and storage rooms, sheds and platforms, so that the entire plant at the present writing is 165x100 feet.

In addition to the candy business, in sinking an artesian well at the depth of 800 feet, an abundant supply of water was struck, possessing medicinal properties, the bottling and sale of which has become a large addition to their already extensive business. It also aff6rds fire protection by having an immense tank high above the roof constantly filled, from which the entire plant can be instantly flooded in case of fire. From two to three hundred persons are constantly employed in the works, many of whom are girls and boys, besides a dozen to fifteen salesmen are kept on the road. The goods find sale from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

THE M. E. SMITH SHIRT FACTORY.

This is a hive of industry, in which seventy-five women are engaged. It is no "sweatshop," being roomy with the best of light and ventilation, situated at the southeast corner of Main and Fifteenth avenue. The swing machines are driven by electricity, and the output being from sixty to seventy dozen per day. The entire force, including the superintendent, is composed of women.

The Standard Manufacturing Company was incorporated in November, 1904, with G. G. Wooden, president and treasurer, and J. F. Hughes, vice-president and secretary, with a paid-up capital of $25,000.

The business is the manufacture of wagon boxes and shovel boards. The company secured ample ground, being half of the block on West Broadway, running through to First avenue, affording the most convenient shipping facilities. Their main building is 150x160 feet, with another 130x40 feet for painting and storage. The lumber used is southern yellow pine, of which a large quantity is kept on hand in their yard. It requires a force of thirty men to enable the company to keep up with their orders.

COUNCIL BLUFFS BRICK COMPANY.

Brick probably enters more largely into the construction of a city than anyone commodity.

The Council Bluffs Brick Company was incorporated March 10, 1907, with a paid-up capital of $10,000. President and general manager, E. A. Wickham; secretary, William Arnd; treasurer, Ernest Hart.

The plant is located at the foot of the bluff in the northern part of city, the great bluff furnishing an inexhaustible quantity of the raw material, and the yard is equipped with all the- most approved facilities for prosecuting the work, which includes all varieties of common and pressed brick.

The product this year, 1907, will reach 3,000,000.

122

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

Wickham Brothers are located under the same great bluff, where they have been engaged in the manufacture of the same quality of brick from the time that the memory of man runneth not to the contrary. Most of these are used by them in works, for which they are the contractors.

Their output will average 50,000 per day during the working season.

A. METZGER & CO., WHOLESALE BAKERY.

The above manufactory was established in June, 1906. The plant consists of a two-story and basement building of pressed brick, 100x90 feet, with all the most modern facilities for producing bread and cake of all varieties, also ice cream. This establishment is located on Mynster street, and the daily output runs from 4,000 to 5,000 loaves of bread, with a corresponding amount of cake and ice cream.

In connection with this is a retail store and restaurant at 523 and 525 West Broadway. Twenty-two employes are now on the payroll and the business growing.

Nearby is about the latest manufacturing establishment in the city, viz., The Orcutt Manufacturing Company. Incorporated June 1, 1907, with D. M. Orcutt, president and treasurer; G. E. Fisher, vice-president, and W. E. Orcutt, secretary, with a paid-up capital of $15,000.

The principal business is the manufacture of weighing scales of all kinds, including the pitless wagon scale.

Although so recently established here, their business requires the active service of twelve skillful machinists.

THE NEW SPECIALTY MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

Incorporated with F. J. Duerr, president and manager; A. C. Walker! vice-president; C. E. Woodbury, treasurer, and John Gretzer, secretary.

The business of this establishment embraces the manufacture of gasoline lamps and lighting appliances, gasoline engine and automobile repairing, general machine work, steel frame pitless wagon and stock scales; also make castings in gray iron, brass, copper, bronze and aluminum, and do nickel and copper plating. Location, No. 43 to 47 North Main street, Council Bluffs.

Nearby in the same line of industry is the Incandescent Light Manufacturing establishment of James Darby, who, with six men, are endeavoring to keep up with their orders.

The Johnson McLean Company is engaged in all kinds of mill work required in the building trade, kiln drying, planing, sawing and working mouldings, also manufacturer of doors and sash. This firm takes no building contracts, but does mill work for such contractors as are without these facilities.

Is incorporated with a capital of $20,000, and employs from thirty to forty men.

123

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

THE A. C. KELLER COLLAR COMPANY.

This is situated on the southeast corner of Thilrty-second street and Avenue A in Council Bluffs and makes a specialty of horse collars. The proprietors came here and started their business in a modest way, and, by industry and close attention to business, it has grown until they now employ from ten to I fifteen men, and have introduced machinery and enlarged their factory, be: sides erecting a separate building for storing the raw material.

BOX AND BASKET FACTORY.

Another small industry, made necessary by the large amount of fruit being raised in the surrounding country, is the Council Bluffs Box and Basket factory. This is situated on Twenty-first street, opposite Cochran's park. The building is 110x60 feet, two stories. This is one article for which we have the raw material in abundance, as the cottonwood along the Missouri is the best wood of which to make the berry, grape and other fruit .boxes and baskets, and the work is adapted to men, women and boys.

The proprietors, J. M. and F. P. Liggett, last season made and sold to the amount of $36,300.

ELEVATORS.

The Cavers-Van Dorn Elevator Company is situated at First avenue and Thirtieth street, with capacity of 50,00Q bushels, can handle 30,000 per day; has trackage to all the roads.

The Peavy Elevator at U. P. transfer has capacity of 1,500,000 bushels, can handle 150 cars per day; trackage to all roads.

The Trans-Mississippi at U. P. transfer has capacity of 500,000 bushels; can handle one hundred cars per day.

The Droge Brothers' Elevator has capacity of 50,000 bushels; can empty a car in fifteen minutes.

The Shugart and Owen Elevator Company was incorporated in 1905; engaged in seed business. Elevator is situated on Sixth street and Tenth avenue. Capacity 20,000 bushels. Sales during 1906 amounted to $50,000.
A. Peterson's feed mill on Third street, 60x30 feet, two stories, driven by gasoline engine, has capacity for 1,000 .bushels in twenty-four hours. Capital of $10,000, land employs five men.

COUNCIL BLUFFS BEDDING COMPANY.

This is one of the infant industries recently established. It is incorporated with a capital of $5,000. At the present time the business is limited to the manufacture of mattresses, for which it is equipped with the

124

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

most modern machinery. At this writing five persons are employed. The factory being No. 34 Fourth street, O. B. Andemon, manager.

The Council Bluffs Granite & Marble Works, southwest corner of East Broadway and Grace streets.
Sheeley & Lane, proprietors, successors to H. J. Gibson in f.aIl of 1892. Have capital invested to amount of $10,000. Employ five men in works beside one salesman on the road.

Among the manufacturers in a small way are those of A. Rasmusson's wagon and carriage manufactory on Upper Broadway, employing six men, and also that or Schultz & Hill on the southeast corner of Fourth street and Fifth avenue. These men employ six men, besides being practical workers themselves.

THE WATERLOO CREAMERY COMPANY.

This institution was incorporated in 1900 and reincorporated in 1904 with a capital of $12,000. President, Leroy Corless; secretary, Corless Hopper; treasurer, Bert Corless.

The business being the manufacture of butter and ice cream. It also is wholesale and retail dealers in milk and cream.

The plant consists of a three-story brick with all necessary appliances for conducting its business at 21 South Eighth street, and business is rapidly increasing.

Kindred establishments are those of I. Mucci at 218 West Broadway, manufacturer of ice cream, also keeps constantly on hand fresh milk and cream in quantity to suit purchasers.

Also that of O. O. Brown at 546 West Broadway, confectioner and manufacturer of ice cream.

COUNCIL BLUFFS CARPET CLEANING COMPANY.

This institution is located at 28-30-32-34 North Main street; was started in 1902 in the old Bluff City Laundry building; engaged in the business of cleaning carpets by power machinery.

In 1903 looms were added for the purpose of weaving fluff rugs from old worn-out ,carpets. It became incorporated in September, 1903, with C. A. Beno, president; T. A. Bush, secretary and manager; Adolph Beno, treasurer; J. D. Evans, L. R. Hypes and W. F. Hypes, directors.

In 1906 the business was extended to include general cleaning and dyeing of garments, household goods, lace curtains, draperies, etc.

The growth of the business requiring more space a modern two-story brick building has been erected adjoining the original plant, and both buildings occupied.

The business requires from eighteen to twenty hands.

125

INDEPENDENT TELEPHONE COMPANY OF COUNCIL BLUFFS.

The above company was incorporated in 1905 with F. J. Day as president; vice-president, E. H. Merriam; secretary, C. A. Benop treasurer, T. G. Turner.

Work was commenced immediatley. The present site was purchased and Exchange building commenced and rushed rapidly to completion. While lines were being extended most approved apparatus installed so that the company was ready for business and opened on June 1, 1906. Since which time the business has rapidly grown until on October 1, 1907, their subxcribers numbered 3,200.

Besides the industries named, we submit the following as directory showing the principal lines of business conducted at this writing in the city of Council Bluffs:

Abstract Offices 3 Laundries 5
Architects 3 Lawyers 40
Awnings and Tents 1 Liquor Stores (wholesale) 4
Automobile Repairing 2 Lumber Yards 4
Banks 5 Livery Stables 10
Bakeries 10 Meat Markets (exclusively) 13
Book Stores 2 Music Stores 4
Brick Yards 3 Millinery and Dressmaking 4
Building Contractors 12 Novelty Stores 2
Clothing Stores 5 Oil (kerosene) 1
Coal and Wood Yards 16 Physicians and Surgeons 32
Dry Goods Stores 4 Photograph Galleries 5
Department Stores 3 Plumbing Establishments 5
Drug Stores 20 Printing Offices 5
Dye Works 3 Paint and Papering 5
Dentists 10 Real Estate and Insurance 31
Electric Supplies 2 Restaurants 12
Engineers (civil) 4 Saloons 60
Furniture Stores 5 Shoe Stores 6
Feed Stores 10 Seed Stores 3
Galvanized Iron 2 Sewing Machine Stores 3
Groceries (wholesale) 1 Tailoring Establishments 6
Groceries (retail) 6 Tea and Coffee Stores 3
Hardware (wholesale) 1 Transfer Companies 7
Hardware (retail) 6 Theaters 3
Hospitals 4 Upholstering 2
Hotels 18 Undertaking 2
Implement Houses 16 Veterinary Surgeons 4
Jewelry Stores 4 Wind Mill Establishment 1

During October one of our citizens of the Hebrew persuasion passed away in the person of Mr. G. H. Mosler. He was an active member with Simon Eis-

126

HISTORY OF POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY

man, Benjamin Newman and others of the first Hebrew society of Council Bluffs.

Our community was surprised on the 29th. of October by the determination of our bankers to partially suspend, but allowing depositors to draw small amounts from ,time to time. This was brought about by the action of the New York bankers dosing as a protection against runs and as New York went it seemed necessary for all others to follow, and so far our citizens acquiesce in the arrangement.

Having given the early history of the early settlement, and the agricultural, manufacturing and commercial affairs, we will proceed to notice the religious, fraternal, sanitary, patriotic and benevolent institutions, commencing with the churches.

Top

Home      Next      Map

divider bar

Moon and Back Graphics logo

 

Mardos Memorial Library logo
Mardos Memorial Library

 

Copyright 2000 - 2002 D. J. Coover All Rights Reserved Webmaster: D. J. Coover - Email