THREE QUARTERS of a CENTURY of PROGRESS
A Brief Pictorial and Commercial History
of Sioux City, Iowa
(click on images for larger size)
S. MARTIN CO.
With the new million-dollar home erected four years ago, the
T. S. Martin Co. is said to have the finest equipment of any department
store west of Chicago. Indeed, it is often called the Marshall
Field's of the west. The store was founded by the late T. S. Martin
in 1890. From this small dry goods store of 43 years ago with
the owner and two clerks, one of the most wonderful retail businesses
in the northwest has been developed. Over 600 employees help this
concern to merchandise several million dollars' worth of goods
every year. T. S. Martin operated the store personally
during his life, turning it over to the management of his three
sons at his death. Thus it has been under the control of the same
family throughout its existence.
The building itself is a model of architecture as well as efficiency.
From the basement to the roof it contains every modern convenience
known to large stores. It is strictly fireproof, with the entire
stock carefully protected by a sprinkler system. Architects and
builders have come from all parts of the country to see this example
of a modern western store. It is said that the sedate old east
has carried back many new ideas from this store. Built of buff
brick, trimmed in white and standing six stories high in the heart
of the retail district, there is little wonder that it attracts
people from the enormous trade territory.
The stock carried in this store is just as modern and up-to-date
as the building. The store has the reputation of doing the largest
women's apparel business and of carrying the most lines of nationally
advertised goods of any store in the state of Iowa. Everything
for the home from a paper of pins to oriental rugs and draperies
can be had under this one roof. The newest and most beautiful
creations in clothes for men and women are always found at Martin's.
It has become the one store for thousands of homes in the great
J. Earle Martin is president; Jules T. Martin,
vice president, and Howard V. Martin, secretary and treasurer
of the T. S. Martin Co. All three are sons of the late T. S.
Martin and have learned merchandising from actual experience,
having served in every department of the store before coming to
the head of the organization.
One Hundred Nineteen
E. J. ACKLEY
With the idea of giving the people of Sioux City good dentistry
for less money than they had been paying. Dr. E. J. Ackley
came to Sioux City five years ago and opened an office. He has
since built up a high grade practice in his line, many of his
patients coming many miles from the territory to take advantage
of his work. He conducts his practice personally in a modernly
equipped office in the Iowa building. Dr. Ackley first began his
practice after many years of study in 1901. Since that time he
has practiced in various places in America and in Europe. Four
years were "pent as a dentist in the United States Navy at
Puget Sound Navy Yard. This was during the war and immediately
following: Previous to this time Dr. Ackley had spend four years
practicing in Munich. Bavaria. Numbering among his patients there
was Crown. Prince Rupprecht and others of the German nobility
who came on the recommendation of the prince. His five years of
practice in Sioux City have been busy ones for him.
In 1880, Joseph Sulzbach, a pioneer contractor and builder
of this section of the country, started a business in Sioux City.
In 1889, his son, F. J. Sulzbach took over the business confining
his work at that time to brick construction only. He has since
branched out into a general contracting business covering everything
from small homes to industrial plants. Mr. Sulzbach has personally
supervised all of his work, never going into partnership with
anyone. He employs from 20 to 100 men, depending upon the work
he is doing. During recent years his contracting has been confined
to Sioux City alone. Some of his recent work includes the Blue
Valley Creamery building, Hanford's creamery, Tackaberry building,
foundations for Scottish Rite Temple, Kalish apartments and Nash
HORNICK, MORE &. PORTERFIELD
For nearly a half century the name of John Hornick has been known
to the drug trade in the northwest. He was one of the pioneer
business men of this country and the business which he established
in 1868 still bears his name. The men who have taken his place
in the organization are A. J. More, J. W. Porterfield, J. W. Crumrine,
G. A. Junk and F. T. Lagger. This company, now called Hornick,
More & Porterfield, does an extensive wholesale drug business
in Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota,
Nebraska and Wyoming. They employ 75 people in the large warehouse
located on Pearl street. Thirteen salesmen cover the territory
specializing in drugs, chemicals, paints, varnishes, druggist
sundries, soda fountains, drug store fixtures, holiday goods and
hundreds of other articles handled by the drug stores. The company
is equipped to outfit a drug store complete from the soda fountain
in the front to the prescription counter in the rear. The company
has a capital of half a million dollars and carries one of the
largest lines of stock in similar businesses west of Chicago.
The men who are now at the head of the institution are some of
the best known in civic and commercial life in Sioux City and
have taken an active part in the progress of the city.
One Hundred Twenty
PERKINS BROS. CO.
Printers and Engravers.
Publishers Sioux City Journal.
of the most complete and inclusive printing plants in Iowa is
that of Perkins Bros. Co., printers, lithographers, engravers,
binders and publishers. The company was first organized in April,
1870, by the late Perkins brothers, George D. and
H. A. Perhaps no man was better known in newspaper circles
in Iowa and the territory than was George Perkins. Many
references are still made to the time when George Perkins
was active in newspaper work. From a small eight-page weekly paper
of that time the Sioux City Journal, which was founded by Perkins
brothers, has grown to a metropolitan daily with eight daily editions
and a large Sunday edition. This is the only Sunday paper in Sioux
In addition to the daily paper with Associated Press news in
all editions and dozens of daily features, this company operates
one of the largest commercial printing plants in the three states.
They have the only lithographing plant in Sioux City and one of
the two photo engraving plants. A book or magazine can be issued
complete from this plant including ngravings, type setting, printing
and binding. No other printing establishement in the city is thus
equiepped. High school and college annuals are features of the
job printing departments. Hundreds of different schools have been
served in this way by Perkins Brothers.
There are 185 regular employees in the Journal building, with
26 traveling men in the territory and with 190 boy carriers. The
building is owned by the company and occupied entirely by them.
It consists of four floors and basement and is modern and fireproof
throughout. The first floor contains the offices and a retail
store for selling stationery and office supplies. Blank books
and other equipment are made in their own plant for the store.
On the second floor is the mailing department, and the third foloor
is occupied by the editorial rooms and mechanical department of
the Journal. The fourth floor is taken up by the commercial printing
composing room, press room and bindery.
The present officers of the Perkins Bros. Co. are W. H. Sammons,
president; Wm. R. Perkins, vice president, and John
B. Perkins, secretary.
One Hundred Twenty-one
Opening an engineering office in 1918 with four engineers, W.
E. Buell has built a business demanding the services of from
eight to fifteen professional engineers. Besides Mr. Buell himself
such engineers as H. M. Romig, L. A. Winters, C. R. Sandifer,
U. F. Turpin, C, W. Bates and W. W. Crawford have played
part in this organization. The Buell organization specializes
in consulting work in municipal engineering. Designs are made
and carried out for storm and sanitary sewers, sewerage disposal
plants, pavements, waterworks systems and other municipal work.
This company has been employed by about one hundred cities to
date on this class of work. Every public improvement must be designed,
plans and specifications drawn, cost estimated, contracts let,
and then supervised throughout construction, such engineering
service insuring minimum cost and satisfaction.
The Bekins Van and Storage Co. of Sioux City. known by everyone
who has ever moved or intended to move, was founded in 1891, by
Martin Bekins, John Bekins and Take Bekins. It was
then a draying business only, using horse-drawn wagons. The business
has now grown into a transfer and storage with a fleet of giant
motor trucks, many of which are large enough to move a houseful
of furniture a hundred miles at one load 'in one day. Two warehouses
for time storage are operated by the company. Individual locked
rooms are rented for any length of time to those who desire to
store their household goods or other equipment. A specialty which
has been developed by Bekins in recent years is the coast shipping.
They combine numerous shipments into solid cars and ship to California,
giving carload rates en small shipments. John Bekins is
president of the company, with S. T. Bekins, manager.
SUNLIGHT PRODUCE CO.
Poultry and Eggs
Sioux City can boast of the largest dealers in the northwest
in poultry and eggs. This is the Sunlight Produce Co., who operate
a plant with poultry feeding capacity of 35,000 birds and dressing
capacity of 6,500 daily. The storage capacity of the plant in
a large refrigeration department is over five million pounds.
The business has been built up by courteous and satisfactory dealings
small and large shippers in the trade territory. Another factor
in the growth of the business is the equipping of a plant to handle
the pro duce that comes. The feeding department fattens thousands
upon thousands of chickens which are dressed and packed as Sunlight
or Monogram brands. These brands are both noted for their quality
all through the country. The third big factor in the success of
the organization is the method of distribution. The poultry and
eggs are bought in the territory and sold through branches of
the Sunlight Produce Co. These branches are located in all the
principal cities of the United States and a part of Canada. The
plant, located in the stock yards district, takes its place with
the packing plants. It is to the poultry producer what the packing
plants are to the stock raiser. It plays no small part in the
development of poultry raising in this part of the west.
One Hundred Twenty-two
The products of the Tagg Bros. Shirt Co. are sold in over a thousand
towns in 37 states
of the United States. It is one of the most extensive made-to-measure
shirt companies in the country. The firm was first organized in
1879, by A. R. and E. C. Tagg, featuring made-to
-measure shirts in their retail men's furnishing store; the store
trade being later dropped in order to give more time to the rapidly
growing manufacturing end. Both of these left the business and
Walter V. Tagg came into active partnership. He is president
of the incorporated company at the present time and has associated
with him his two sons, W. C., who is vice president, and
E. S., who is secretary-treasurer. The original company
was established in Chicago, moving to Sioux City, January 1, 1915.
They now make, besides shirts, dental gowns, pajamas, night shirts
and underwear. This is all made-to-measure, the company keeping
all measurements on file so that a man can order from any part
of the world. A force of 60 people is required to handle the manufacturing,
selling and office part of the business.
One Hundred Twenty-three
Mardos Memorial Library
Copyright © 2000 - 2003 D. J. Coover
All Rights Reserved Webmaster: D. J. Coover - Email