THREE QUARTERS of a CENTURY of PROGRESS
A Brief Pictorial and Commercial History
of Sioux City, Iowa
(click on all images for larger size)
over 35 years, since 1885, the products of the New England Steam
Bakery have been eaten by people of Sioux City. The bakery was
started by Wm. Maxeiner, who has been in active charge
since that time. There are 20 employees in the plant which does
mostly a wholesale business in Sioux City and the surrounding
territory, They reach out for 60 miles in every direction of the
city. "Holsum Bread" is the principal product.
the smaller but progressive packing plants in Sioux City is that
of Smith Bros. The company was formed in 1913, for slaughtering
and wholesaleing meats. Since that time a sausage making department
has been installed, making it a complete plant. Fifteen employees
are used turning out over $300,000 worth of food products annually.
With two salesmen they cover Sioux City and northwest Iowa, making
no. attempt to go farther with their sales. Fresh dressed meats
and sausages are their specialties. This plant is located in the
stock yards district and takes its place along side of the larger
plants. C. C. Smith is the manager of the organization.
Following the trend of development in the territory
it covers, The Sioux City Iron Company has grown from a supply
house for the blacksmith only, to a source of supply for the implement
dealer and garageman as well. Established in 1892, in a small
way as jobbers of blacksmiths' supplies, it has gradually broadened
its lines until at the present time it occupies a most enviable
position with the various classes of trade to which it caters.
For the past 20 years the business has been under the management
of H. A. Sadler, assisted by George C. Bergtholdt.
They employ 40 people with 10 men on the road, covering northwest
Iowa, southwest Minnesota, all of South Dakota and the north half
of Nebraska. The offices and principal warehouse of the company
are in the Plymouth' Block, with lumber sheds and additional storage
on the quarter block adjoining.
One Hundred Thirty
WM. WARNOCK CO.
Manufacturers, Jobbers and Distributors
Starting in Sioux City with a retail hardware store and gradually
building up, Wm. Warnock has built one of the largest businesses
in the city owned by one man. The business now consists of manufacturing
sheet metal farm products, wholesaling
automotive supplies and accessories and running a large office
building. The automotive business grew from a Ford agency accepted
by Mr. Warnock in 1903. At one time he was credited with being
one of the largest Ford dealers in the West. With a steady growth
they built up a business in equipment and parts that made it necessary
to practically discontinue handling cars, this being after they
had sold thousands of cars in the territory.
The tank factory makes practically every sheet metal product
known on the farm. A force of from 25 to 50 men is employed here
turning out daily hundreds of articles ranging in size from chicken
waterers to large tanks. This factory also makes furnaces and
heating equipment for homes, commercial buildings and industries.
Hog houses, poultry farms and barns are equipped with all metal
parts and equipment from this plant.
The sales end requires 75 employees with 20 on the road selling
the products they manufacture and job. They cover a radius of
250 miles of Sioux City in Iowa,
Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming, making every town.
They sell only to dealers. The home office is in the Warnock building,
now considered one of Sioux City's finest office buildings. The
building was so erected as to give a large number of light airy
offices and giant store rooms, neither interfering with the other.
It is a building being frequently modeled after and is considered
one of the best automobile buildings in the state.
One Hundred Thirty-one
The Electric Contractors Supply Co., started here in 1919, as
a branch of the Des Moines company by the same name, but became
an independent organization the following year. The local corporation
is controlled by G. R. Warren, president and secretary;
Roger M. Carlson, vice president, and George Wissing,
treasurer. They are distributors for such nationally known lines
as Allis Chalmers Manufacturing Co. equipment, Fostoria National
Mazda Lamps, M. B. Austin Safety Wire and Cable, Duncan Meters,
V. V. Fittings, X-Ray Reflectors, Crosley Radio Equipment, French
Battery and Carbon Co. Batteries, Vac Vacuum Cleaners, Weber Wiring
Devices, Wurdack Co. Panels and other equipment.
The Provident Loan Association was organized in 1912, as the
Remedial Loan Association, under the plan of the Russell Sage
Foundation. Today it is one of the largest small loan businesses
in the state lending to industrial borrowers amounts from
$10 to $300, which are repaid in monthly payments. It is the only
one of the small loan businesses in Iowa, according to the manager,
that does not charge the maximum rate of interest as specified
in the uniform rate law of Iowa, the law that put "loan sharks"
out of business. The Provident was organized by Leslie Whitmer,
who is the head of the institution. Many of Sioux City's business
and professional men are owners of stock in the association, which
pays seven per cent and has never missed a dividend.
From a repair shop containing 40 square feet to the present wholesale
and retail business occupying 15,000 square feet is the story
of the Olson Sporting Goods Co., as it is known today. The repair
business was started by R. S. Phillips, on Pearl street, in 1895,
and purchased by G. Adolph Olson in the fall of 1914. The
business is housed in a modern business block at 315-317 Fourth
street, and is the center for many sporting activities. The most
complete line of sporting goods and athletic supplies in the northwest
is carried by Mr. Olson, which supplies parts of seven surrounding
states. A large volume of business comes from mail orders and
from one regular traveling salesman and two who carry the line
as a sideline. The retail business is no small part with the athletic
activities of the schools and colleges in the city and immediate
territory. Mr. Olson is a fisherman and hunter of note and is
considered an authority on sports and athletics. This personality
has added greatly to the business. Eleven employees help to serve
the sport loving public at the store.
One Hundred Thirty-two
The Sioux City Stock Yards Company began business 36 years ago
in 1887. For a number of years market facilities were very limited
and receipts small; about 54,000 cattle, 431,000 hogs, 5,400 sheep
and 600 horses were received the second year. In 1892, the big
flood that hit Sioux City wiped out the stock yards. This, together
with the financial panic of about the same time, made things look
blue and for a time receipts fell off. However, as the country
began to come out from under the strain, the market began to improve
and there has been a steady increase until it now ranks as one
of the leading live stock markets of the world.
The Sioux City stock yards at this time covers more than 80 acres
and contains modern facilities for handling all kinds of live
stock quickly and on a large scale. The hog house is a two-story
reinforced concrete structure, rated one of the finest, if not
the finest, of its kind in the world. Additions recently completed
have increased the capacity of the hog house more than 50 per
cent. The cattle and sheep divisions are commodious and complete
in all details. The horse barns and sales pavilion are unexcelled
at any market. The entire equipment of the Stock Yards Company,
from the unloading chutes to the scales, are the best that can
be obtained for the purpose. The unloading and reloading chutes
were increased 50 per cent this year. More than $200,000.00 has
been expended by the Stock Yards Company this year for various
improvements to give still better service in the handling of live
The delivery of live stock by motor truck also forms a very important
part of the stock yard's business. More hogs are received by truck
at Sioux City than at any other western market. Last year a new
reinforced concrete unloading dock was erected at a location adjacent
to the main highway to accommodate this steadily increasing business.
Over $35,000.00 was spent in improving this truck division so
that any live stock brought in day or night is handled promptly.
The picture is an aeroplane view of the Sioux City stock yards
as it now appears.
One Hundred Thirty-three
Wholesale and Retail Automobile Accessories
With 23 years of service in handling automobiles and accessories,
the Barish Bros. company is one of the best known in the automobile
trade circles. In addition to the large plant in Sioux City retailing
and wholesaling all kinds of accessories, they operate a Chevrolet
sales agency at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Norfolk, Nebraska. They
are as well known in the territory as they are in Sioux City.
The Sioux City house has successfully handled Fords and Dodges,
and at the same time have operated one of the largest service
garages in the city. Their building is located in a very convenient
part of the business district. Max Barish, well known in
the state and city motor trades organizations, is in charge of
the Sioux City house of Barish Bros.
The Sioux City Paper Co. recently moved into larger quarters
at 205-207-209 Pearl street to enable them to handle their fast
increasing business. The company was organized in 1912, by V.
E. Wadhams, who is secretary and, treasurer of the company.
They handle wrapping paper, twine, notions, woodenware, roofing,
Congoleum, tissue paper, toilet paper, stationery and paper bags.
In addition to their local jobbing the firm does a large business
in Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and South Dakota. The large stock
carried at the Sioux City warehouse enables them to give quick
The success of the Weinberg Co. is the result of absolute faith
in Sioux City and its surrounding territory. Established in 1915,
by Lipman Weinberg, who felt that the
territory promised much in his line, the Weinberg company has
grown into one of the finest ladies' ready to wear stores west
of Chicago. The territory covered is as large as any retail store
in the city due to the reputation of the service and quality of
products. Mr. Lipman Weinberg devotes most of his time between
New York and Sioux City keeping constantly on the lookout for
better clothes and prices to offer the Sioux City women. Mr. Nathan
C. Weinberg, who is manager of the local store, devotes his
time to serving the customers. The company employs 30 to 35 people
in various capacities and is growing rapidly with the growth of
One Hundred Thirty-four
Albertson & Co., now maintaining the largest factory in the
world devoted exclusively to the manufacture of valve grinding
tools, was established in 1914, by O. Albertson and H.
A. Jacobsen. At the beginning the business was mainly general
repair work, but at the present time the famous "Sioux"
line of tools is known and sold throughout the civilized world.
Valve grinders, valve lathes, valve seat reamers, flexible shafts
and valve face grinding machines are among the products bearing
the "Sioux" trade mark of Albertson & Co. The factory,
in which are employed 100 skilled mechanics, is a modern daylight
structure located on the Leeds road. The plant is kept running
at capacity speed at all times, to fill the orders which pour
in from the jobbers located in Europe, Australia, Canada and the
United States. An idea of the volume of business handled may be
gathered from the fact that over 100,000 valve grinders and several
times that number of valve seat reamers, were shipped the past
One Hundred Thirty-five
Mardos Memorial Library
Copyright © 2000 - 2003 D. J. Coover
All Rights Reserved Webmaster: D. J. Coover - Email