THREE QUARTERS of a CENTURY of PROGRESS
A Brief Pictorial and Commercial History
of Sioux City, Iowa
(click on all images for larger size)
a local business covering a few miles around Sioux City, the Guarantee
Veterinary Co., organized in 1911, by Geo. L. Owens, has
grown to a large manufacturing concern whose products are known
over the entire middlewest, eastern and southern states. In addition
to the manufacture and sale of' hog remedies which are sold only
in the immediate territory around Sioux City, a patent medicated
stock block, "Sal-Tonick," is made and sold. Mr. Owens
is the patentee of the product. A selling force of from 12 to
15 men work out of Sioux City selling remedies only. The Sal-Tonik
is sold through dealers in quantities ranging from one ton to
car lots. Mr. Owens now resides in Chicago, where he also has
a plant. Miss B. E. Davies is manager of the local house.
|NELSON DECORATING COMPANY (INC.)
Wholesale and Retail Wall Paper and Picture Framing
public was given a useful shop when J. H. Nelson opened the Nelson
Decorating Co., in March, 1922. An exclusive line of wall paper,
pictures, frames and frame mouldings is stocked at all times.
The large variety of picture mouldings makes it possible to make
frames to suit any picture or engraving on shortest notice. Special
order framing is the largest part of the picture end of the business.
An average of 10 employees are kept to assist Mr. Nelson in answering
the needs of the public in the decorating line.
|TOM GREEN BRICK COMPANY
Manufacturers of Brick and Jobbers of Tile
It was in 1869 that Thomas Green began making brick in
Sioux City, thus connecting the name with an industry which continues
to gather volume and prestige as the years pass by. The original
plant was located in what is now Greenville, later moving to Springdale.
In 1915, the present firm was organized by Tom W. Green,
and the yards located on the Correctionville road. Here 50 employees
are required in manufacturing carload after carload of brick used
in construction work throughout the surrounding states. Many of
these employees have been engaged in the manufacture of Greenmade
brick for periods ranging from 15 to 25 years. From three to five
traveling salesmen are used in covering the retail trade territory,
selling the product of the Sioux City plant and also tile, fire
brick and allied products, which the company handles as jobbers.
Tom W. Green is a director of the Common Brick Manufacturers
Association of America, and has been a member of that association
since its inception. A large percentage of the public and private
buildings in Sioux City and the surrounding
One Hundred Thirty-six
For nearly a half century the name of William Gordon has
been known in business, commercial, social and civic life of Sioux
City. Perhaps more real estate has changed hands through his efforts
than through those of any other one man in the city. Millions
of dollars worth of real estate have been under his direction
during the time that he has been in the city. Mr. Gordon has been
active in various organizations of the city since most of them
have been formed. He has served as officer and director in numerous
of these, such as the Sioux City Real Estate Association, Commercial
Club, later Chamber of Commerce, Country Club, Planning Commission
and others, Scarcely an organization in the city that is for furthering
the interest of the city but that has counted him as a member.
Mr. Gordon is best known to the public through his efforts towards
a railroad terminal for the city. He has spent years of his time,
much money and untold efforts in bringing before the railroad
officials, most of whom count him as their personal friend, the
needs of the city and of the railroads for better terminal facilities.
As a member of the City Planning Commission since it was created,
he has carried this terminal work, still further and at the same
time worked towards a better planned city. His efforts have been
felt in the city government, in the state government and in railroad
Through the valuation board of the Real Estate Association he
has placed an authentic value on millions of dollars worth of
property. So well is he versed in the value of Sioux City real
estate that he is considered an authority. Many disputes have
been settled on the basis of his statements.
Eastern capital in large amounts has been brought to Sioux City
and put to work by Mr. Gordon, most of it for the good of the
city and at no profit to him. Great confidence has been placed
in him by the financiers of the east who are always looking for
good investments in the growing west. The amount of property that
has been financed in Sioux City in this way would make a large
city itself. Farm lands and unimproved land have also been handled
by him in his years of real estate activities.
One Hundred Thirty-seven
|HOSKINS-CANTINE FUEL CO.
Wholesale and Retail Coal
The Hoskins-Cantine Fuel Co. has steadily increased its business
in Sioux City since it was founded in 1919, by H. A. Hoskins,
president of the company. The retail yard has been doubled in
size. Premium Petroleum Coke and regular lines of anthracite and
bituminous coals are sold at retail in Sioux City. The wholesale
department has numerous customers in South Dakota, Minnesota,
Iowa and Nebraska. The company is exclusive distributor in this
territory for Southern Gem coal, mined in Franklin county, Illinois.
In addition to Mr. Hoskins, A. R. Wilcox, vice president,
and T. F. Lester, secretary, are active in the business.
is the long, hot days of summer when the name of Lane Bottling
Works is best known to the people of Sioux City and the territory
served. Gold-Seal ginger ale and other drinks made by this company.
are well known. Cloudy orangeade is the orange drink that is made
from orange fruit without any artificial oils or flavoring. This
is one of the specialties of Lane's. The Lane Bottling Works was
organized in January, 1900, by Fred W. Lane, who has directed
the plant since that time. Only the purest of materials are used
in the plant where every measure of precaution is taken to insure
perfect sanitary conditions.
|THE W. W. BEACH CO.
Engineers, Architects and Builders
1899 Sioux City has been familiar with buildings designed by W.
W. Beach, now head of the W. W. Beach Company. Under this
firm name numerous buildings have been planned, designed and constructed
throughout the middlewest. Mr. Beach has not confined his activities
to anyone class of buildings or to anyone locality. He has built
public buildings, churches, schools, factory units, hotels, bank
buildings, Masonic temples, business blocks and various other
types in as many different places. Just at this time he is specializing
in bank buildings. "We believe that the territory of Sioux
City is limited only by the capacity
and enterprise of her citizens," says Mr. Beach, in showing
the variety of buildings in various states. The motto of the firm
is "Better Buildings in Less Time at Lower Cost." According
to many of the clients this motto is lived up to literally. Associated
with Mr. Beach, and under his direction are some of the most skilled
designers and engineers in the west. From southern Illinois to
the Black Hills of South Dakota, the work of this firm is known.
One Hundred Thirty-eight
|WATERLOO ENGRAVING AND SERVICE CO., INC.
Art, Engraving, Electrotyping, Advertising Service
Starting 10 years ago as a small branch engraving plant, the
Waterloo Engraving and Service Co. has grown and expanded its
scope until now it ranks as one of the
largest and most complete plants west of Chicago. Separate departments
are maintained for art, engraving, electrotyping, photographing
and advertising service, which includes the creating, designing
and writing of both direct mail and publication advertising.
The territory covered by this company is not restricted to Iowa,
but their service is made available to business firms throughout
all of the middle western states. This is especially true of the
advertising service department, which serves firms requiring national
advertising over a wide range of territory.
The border design of the pages in this book was created by the
art department of the Waterloo Engraving and Service Co., in conjunction
with P. H. Verstegen, of the Verstegen Printing Co. The
plates for the inserts are the product of the color department
of this company, and many of the black and white plates were made
in their plant.
The officers of the company are: Gwynne Weston, president;
F. J. Weston, vice president; Wells H. Barnett,
secretary, and D. L. Rankin, treasurer.
One Hundred Thirty-nine
April, 1902, the National Business Training School was opened
to receive students from Sioux City and the territory. Since then
over 18,000 graduates have gone out from the school to positions.
The school maintains its own employment department furnishing
positions for every graduate in keeping with his or her ability.
The annual enrollment for both night and day schools is 800. Eight
teachers form the faculty. Major courses are bookkeeping and shorthand,
with which are included all English branches such as arithmetic,
spelling, writing, English, commercial law, salesmanship and business
efficiency. Typewriting is also included. W. A. Barrett
is president and founder of the school. G. A. Anderson
KRUEGERS' POTATO GROWERS EXCHANGE, INC.
Wholesale Dealers in Fruits and Vegetables
10 years the business of the Potato Growers Exchange has grown
from $25,000 a year to over half a million. The company was organized
by J. N. Krueger in 1912, who at present is president of
the corporation and associated with him are A. Krueger,
vice president; S. L. Krueger, secretary, and L. Krueger,
treasurer, together with 10 employees in the house and two traveling
salesmen.. The lines handled include all kinds of fruits and fresh
The Hillside Sanatorium-Hospital is the largest privately owned
hospital in the city. It was established in 1915, by Dr. S. W.
Staads. He had been a surgeon in Sioux City for over 27 years
when he became concerned in sanatorium treatment in addition to
surgical work. For this purpose the Hillside Sanatorium-Hospital
was opened to the public in 1915. Dr. Staads is the surgeon in
charge, Dr. S. B. Hoskins cares for the internal medicine
and Miss M. Waechter is superintendent of the hospital.
The hospital has a capacity for 50 people and is filled most of
In addition to the straight surgical cases, chronic diseases of
all kinds, including nervous trouble, rheumatism, and others are
treated. A special department handles mild mental cases and broken-down
nervous cases. A staff of eight nurses devote all of their time
attending the wants of the patients. They are also equipped to
give all kinds of medical baths, electrical treatments, X-ray
treatments, Swedish massages, inhalation treatments and radium
cures. A well equipped gymnasium is maintained for the patients
and is under the supervision of an experienced instructor. The
modern, well equipped operating room handles hundreds of operations
annually. This institution gives regular clinics once a year at
which time those unable to pay for operations are given free service.
One Hundred Forty
The Cyan a Cigar Company was founded in 1915, by Mr. Charles
Loeffel and his wife, who came to Sioux City from Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. They selected Sioux City as a logical place to open
a cigar factory, because of its central location as a distributing
point for the entire northwest. From a one-room factory, at 1105
Fifth street, with a production of 45,000 Cyana cigars in the
of 1915, to the largest exclusive ten-cent cigar factory west
of Chicago,with a production of over 4,000,000 Cyana cigars in
1923, is the story of the meteoric rise of the Cyana Cigar Company.
At the present writing, all indications point to an increase in
production to over 10,000,000 annually in the very near future,
as the rate of progress for this concern is growing with dynamic
The territories now covered include Iowa, Nebraska, North and
South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, Colorado,
Wyoming and Montana; and the entire Pacific coast is now being
opened up by Mr. James Monroe Preston, western sales manager.
The effort is being made to make Cyana cigars one of the national
sellers, and it is hoped that this goal will be reached in the
The Cyana Cigar Company has concentrated on the one brand, and
has tried to make it a real value for the money. Cyanas are made
in six shapes, ranging in price from 10 cents to 20 cents, three
for 50 cents. The tobaccos used are of the highest quality the
market affords, the cigars being made of imported Sumatra wrappers,
best grade Connecticut Havana seed binders of the wrapper type,
with the finest selections of Ramatus Cuban fillers, blended by
years of experience into a mild mellow smoke. The standardization
and uniformity of production has been attained, and the perpetual
maintenance of identical quality is winning hundreds of new smokers
daily. Cyanas are all hand made, and the factory has a capacity
of 700,000 cigars per month, which capacity will soon be reached.
Sanitation is the keynote to the entire plant. To carry this still
farther than the plant, each Cyana is foil wrapped before being
placed on the market. The foil wrapping is an advanced idea in
the marketing of cigars, as besides making a sanitary package,
breakage is prevented and the cigar is kept in a fresh condition
One Hundred Forty-one
|KAHOUN CAFE AND HOTEL
Kahoun Bros., Proprietors
the more popular of the high class cafes in Sioux City is the
Kahoun Cafe and Hotel, at 411 Douglas street, operated by Frank
A., Vincent W. and Edw. G. Kahoun. This establishment has
acquired its reputation as one of the finest hostelries in northwest
Iowa through the policy of splendid service and unfailing courtesy
to its guests and patrons. As the name implies, rooms for both
permanent and transient guests are provided and this feature of
the institution is so conducted that nothing looking to the comfort
and satisfaction of the patrons is overlooked.
One of the outstanding pieces of work in Sioux City of E.
R. Swanson, architect, is the new City Building designed by
him and now being erected at Sixth and Water streets under his
supervision. His organization contains four men trained in this
line of work. Since opening an office here, in January, 1922,
approximately $500,000.00 worth of work has been designed by him.
General architectural work, business and public buildings and
residences are handled by the firm. Offices are maintained at
527-28 Warnock building.
By far the most attractive exclusive shoe store in the territory
is the one opened less than a year ago in Sioux City by E.
B. Quilleash. The store is something entirely new for this
part of the country. They deal exclusively in women's, misses'
and children's shoes and women's hosiery. The store is beautifully
decorated from the show windows in the front to the stock shelves
in the rear. One
of the most attractive features of the store is the juvenile department.
There is a nursery for kiddies fitted up in attractive style.
The Egyptian fountain is stocked with varied colored gold and
silver fish that glisten with the light3 shining through the water.
Special attention is given in this store to children's shoes and
everything possible is done to make the children enjoy coming
here to be fitted for shoes. The nursery is decorated with cutouts
of animals and birds. For the older customers there is a writing
desk and a telephone booth and many other conveniences to take
away some of the horrors of shopping. Mr. Quilleash is in personal
charge of the store. He has five employes in the various departments.
One Hundred Forty-two
On November 1, 1919, Paul W. Colby and K. E. Westerlind
established the firm of Colby & Westerlind, and in the comparatively
short time since many of the finest structures in Sioux City and
the trade territory have been designed by them. The firm specializes
in the designing of modern public buildings of every description,
but at the present time have established their most notable successes
in the line of public school buildings, their work in this respect
being in evidence far beyond the ordinary confines of the Sioux
City trade territory. School structures in the Nebraska cities
of Waterbury, Newcastle, Valentine, Pender, Lynch, Cushing, Orchard,
North Platte, Atkinson and Hershey were designed by them and constructed
under their supervision. The addition to the Turner county court
house, at Parker, S. D., is another splendid evidence of their
craftmanship, making this building one of the finest structures
of the kind in that state.
the larger Sioux City structures which have been designed and
built under the supervision of Colby & Westerlind are the
War Eagle Building, The Argonaut, Stellart, Nyol and Castle apartment
buildings, the Albertson & Co. factory building and the Rustin
Avenue Methodist Church. Many beautiful Sioux City homes have
also been designed by this firm.
One Hundred Forty-three
Mardos Memorial Library
Copyright © 2000 - 2003 D. J. Coover
All Rights Reserved Webmaster: D. J. Coover - Email