HISTORY OF IOWA.
The prosperous and progressive community of Vail is located about six miles west of the eastern line of county, and was laid out in the summer of 1871. The town-site is owned by the Blair Town Lot and Land Company, and by other parties, who have made additions thereto. The surrounding country, for a distance of twenty miles north and south, tributary to Vail, is of a most excellent quality.
Vail was incorporated in the spring of 1875. The first Mayor was Josiah McHenry, who was succeeded by the following in order: W.W. Anderton, Josiah McHenry, A.D. Young, F.B. Huckstep, the latter of whom is the present incumbent.
The following are the present town officers: F.B. Huckstep, Mayor; J.S. Nesbit, Recorder; E. Ryan, Treasurer; M. McGrath, Marshal; Thomas Ryan, Street Commissioner; J.P. Fitch, A.L. Strong, J.H. Barrett, E. Darling, E.B. Bannister, John Cousins, Councilmen.
Dr. James DeWolf, the present postmaster, and who came to Vail in the autumn of 1870, was the first bona fide settler of the town. He erected a store-building and warehouse where the postoffice now stands. He also "broke" some land, and in return for a car-load of wheat raised thereon, obtained the first stock of goods that were placed on sale in the town. John Liddle started a
blacksmith shop in Vail in 1871. During the winter of 1870-71, there was nobody on the present town-site of Vail, save Mr. DeWolf, his son John, and the trackhands employed upon the railroad.
The depot building was erected in the summer of 1871, but no agent was located therein until September, 1872. George Head was the first depot agent. In the summer of 1872, the following engaged in business at Vail; J.F. Powers, furniture; L.P. Mooney, general merchandise; E.B. Bannister, hardware; Mrs. E.B. Bannister, millinery.
The next year Greenough & Bullock, of Denison, established a branch drug store at Vail. Josiah McHenry built the first hotel in the autumn of 8172. Since 1873, there has been a steady and constant growth, until at the present time it is safe to estimate the population of the town at from seven to eight hundred.
A classified summary of the business establishments is as follows: General stores, four; grocery, one; hotels, two; livery, three; blacksmith shops, four; wagon shops, two; drug stores, three; shoe shops, three; paint shop, one; printing office, one; hardware, three; agricultural implement depots, three; grain elevators, three; flouring mill, one; lumber yards, two; butter and egg depot, one; restaurants, two; jewelry, one; banks, two; barber shop, one; insurance agencies, two; real estate and loan, three; lawyers, three; physicians, three; meat markets, two; stock dealers, two; machine shop, one; grain dealers, four; furniture, two; harness shops, two; brickyard, one; brewery, one; saloons, four; millinery stores, two; coal dealers, four.
G.A.W. Davison started the Crawford County Observer in May, 1878, and after conducting it about a year and a half, sold to J. Otto Engstrom. The paper was started as a six -column folio and was all printed at the home office; subsequently it was changed to an eight-column folio and published on the co-operative plan. In the spring of 1880, Engstrom sold the paper to Gregg & Roberts, the latter of whom became sole proprietor in the autumn of the same year, and continued to conduct it until his death, in the spring of 1881, when his father, J.H. Roberts, Sr., ran it for a short time, and then disposed of it to H.C. Ford. Mr. Davison re-purchased the paper October 1st, 1881, and is the present editor and proprietor. The Observer is now a five-column quarto, is independent in politics, has a circulation of 500, and is one of Western Iowa's neatest and newsiest weekly publications.
John Short, of Boone County, started the Vail Flouring Mills in 1875. He was assisted by liberal subscriptions from the citizens in the establishment of the enterprise. The building is of three stories in addition to the basement, has four run of stone, and a steel buhr for grinding feed. It also has a grain sheller and elevator in connection. There are, besides, two more steam elevators in Vail, one owned by Benson & Wagner, of Chicago the
other by J.P. Fitch. The flouring mill is filled with the very best and latest improved machinery, and turns out a grade of flour of unusual excellence.
The Citizens' Bank is located in the postoffice building, and is conducted by J.H. DeWolf. The Traders' Bank, on the corner of Warren and Passaic streets, is owned by Messrs. Maynard & Price. Both banks are doing an extensive and prosperous business.
The postoffice at Vail was established in May, 1871; the first Postmaster was Martin Hale Smith, in whose name the office was conducted a year or more, when he was succeeded by Dr. James DeWolf, who has continued in office ever since. It was made a money order office in October, 1877.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
Methodist Episcopal SocietyThis society has been organized a number of years, and is in a flourishing condition. The new church edifice, a neat and substantial structure, was dedicated Sunday, February 26th, of the present year, by Bishop Hurst. The building has a seating capacity of about 300. A largely attended Sabbath School has been organized, of which Mrs. A.A. Shesler is Superintendent; Miss Eva Gilman, Secretary; John J. Haas, Librarian.
Presbyterian SocietyThe organization of this society was at an early date in the history of the town. The church building was begun in the autumn of 1877, and cost about $2,300. It was dedicated in May, 1878. The society was organized by Rev. Geo. R. Carroll, and Rev. W.H. Cuskey was the first minister in charge. Rev. S.C. Head is the present pastor. The church edifice is 30x46 feet in dimensions. The erection of a parsonage at an early date is contemplated. The Sabbath School has an attendance of from sixty to seventy pupils. Dr. James DeWolf, is the Superintendent.
Grace Episcopal MissionOrganized January 3d, 1876, by Rev. F.T. Webb, of Council Bluffs. Services are for the present held in the M.E. church edifice. The society will erect a suitable building during the current year. Rev. C.S. Fackentball is the present pastor. The number of communicants is eighteen.
The Catholic Church SocietyThis Parish has a large and constantly increasing membership. Unfortunately, the church edifice, a commodious frame structure, was blown down by a windstorm in the autumn of 1881. Nothing daunted, however, the congregation has formed plans for the erection of a new church building, which will be in every respect highly creditable, both to the members of the Parish and to the community in general. The proposed new building will be erected during the present year, will be of brick, and will probably cost from seven to eight thousand dollars. Rev. Father M.C. Lenahan is the present Rector of this Parish.
Swedish Lutheran SocietyAt present this society, as an organization, may be said to be "without form and void," but matters are rapidly taking shape, and it is expected that during the present year a society of this denomination will be organized in Vail, there being many of this particular faith in the town and vicinity.
Vail Public SchoolsThe independent school District of Vail was organized in the spring of 1879. The first Board of Directors were: J.P. Fitch, L.P. Mooney, E. Darling. E.M. Ainsworth was the first Principal, in which capacity he has continued until the time of present writing. The first school in Vail was taught in the winter of 1871-2, the school house having been built during the previous summer. Miss Mary DeWolf, now Mrs. A.L. Strong, was the first teacher. She was succeeded by her brother, J.H. DeWolf. the first Sub-Director for this District was William Bennett, who was succeeded by Dr. DeWolf, and he by George Head. The present school house was erected in 1877, and has cost not less than $3,000. Its dimensions are 40x50 feet; it is two stories high, and has three departments. The present corps of teachers are: E.M. Ainsworth, Principal; Miss Mattie Snodgrass, Intermediate; Miss Mollie Snodgrass, Primary. The total enrollment is 195; the average attendance, 145. The present Board of Education is: J.P. Fitch, President; J. McHenry, L.P. Mooney, C.H. Britton, James McAndrews; J.S. Nesbit, Secretary; C.E. Price, Treasurer. Prof. E.M. Ainsworth, who has been engaged in teaching in Vail for the past seven years, having been elected County Superintendent of Schools, will retire in April of this year, and be succeeded by William Stephens. the Vail schools have and excellent reputation for thoroughness and efficiency.
Diamond Lodge, U.D., A.F. & A.M.The first regular meeting was held January 3d, 1882. There were twenty-two charter members. The officers are as follows: E. Darling, W.M.; C.E. Price, S.W.; H. Robbins, J.WL.; W.L. Leland, S.D.; C. Priest, J.D.; J.E. Edgar, Secretary; J.F. Long, Treasurer. The membership is twenty-two. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows' Hall Tuesday evenings of each month, on or before the full moon.
Vail Lodge No. 430, I.O.O.F.Instituted August 22d, 1881. Charter members: W.L. Leland, J.B. King, T.W. Butler, E.b. Legg, H. Boyce, H.C. Ford, Joseph White, C.H. Britton, F.A. Deed. First officers: T.W. Butler, N.G.; C.H. Britton, V.G.; J.B. King, Secretary; E.B. Legg, Treasurer. Present officers; C.H. Britton, N.G.; J.F. Powers, V.G.; J.B. King, Secretary; J.E. Edgar, Treasurer. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows' Hall every Saturday evening. the membership is thirty-three. The Lodge is in a substantial and unusually encouraging condition.
Vail Collegium No. 78, V.A.S. FraternityInstituted September 29th, 1881. with eleven charter members. First and present officers: E. Darling, R.; J.C. Butler, V.R.; R.B. Huckstep, S.; A.Z. Harmon, Q.; M. Fitzgerald, U.; T.J. Huffman, C.; Simon
Johnston, S. The membership is fourteen, and meetings are held the first Saturday evening of each month in Huckstep's law office.
DeSoto Lodge No. 63, K. of P.Instituted November 10th, 1881. Charter members: E.M. Ainsworth, C.N. Clark, E.B. Legg, William Stephens, Simon Johnston, J. Cousins, H.C. Ford, C.C. Jewett, S.G. Hall, W.H. Brocklesby. First officers: C.N. Clark, P.C.; William Stephens, V.C.; E.M. Ainsworth, C.C.; C.C. Jewett, P.; G. Hall, K. of R. & S., J. cousins, M. of F.; W.A. Rocklesby, M. of E.; C.G. Manchester, M. at A.; Simon Johnston, I.G. These officers continue the same as above. The present membership is seventeen, and meetings are held every alternate Friday evening in Odd Fellows' Hall.
W.C.T.U.The Women's Christian Temperance Union of Vail was organized in 1880. Mrs. Dr. DeWolf is the President. This organization has been an effective agency in the promotion of the community's best interests.
Bank of HopeOrganized May 11th, 1860. Present officers: Mrs. J.F. Powers, Superintendent; Fred. Edgar, President; Fannie Moulton, Vice-President; Anna DeWolf, Secretary; Jennie Robbins, Treasurer. The membership is about forty.
Young People's LyceumThis society is composed of the pupils of the Grammer School. Weekly meetings are held, the objects being parliamentary drill, debates, etc.
Public School LibraryA Public School Library has been established, the funds for which wre secured mainly by giving public entertainments. The District has levied a tax for the maintenance of the Library, and large additions will shortly be made.
Vail Silver Cornet BandOrganized in 1876; William Stephens, President and Leader; Reginald Platt, Secretary; H.S. Keller, Treasurer. There are ten members. This band has an established reputation as one of the best bands in western Iowa.
This is one of the brightest and most thriving towns along the line of the C. & N.W.R.R. It is located near the eastern line of the county, and has a large scope of country tributary to itnot only in Crawford County, but also in Carroll, Sac and Shelby Counties. In the language of a recent writer for one of the daily publications of the State, "We have nowhere seen more evidences of thrift and prosperity among the business men than at West Side; and no town in this section of the state has a more earnest, enthusiastic and energetic class of people. They are courteous to strangers, alive to their own interests, aware of their importance and generous in all matters of public interest.
"As a business point we doubt if any village of six hundred along this line of road surpasses West Side. Socially, it leads the van, and politicallyit has some of the strongest men in the West.
"The driving park association recently purchased several acres in the town-site, and will plant trees on the same this fall. The park contains one of the best half-mile tracks in the State."
West Side is located on section 24, township 84, range 37, six miles east of Vail, in West Side Township, and on the north side of the section. Payne's addition to West Side was made about the year 1878, and is located on section 13. the first addition to the town plat was made by the Blair Town Lot and Land Company.
The town was laid out by the Blair Town Lot and Land Company. The first improvements were made in 1872, by M. Smith, present County Recorder of Crawford County, who in that year built the first residence in the place. There was, however, previous thereto a small house on the present town-site, for the accommodation of the section "boss."
Lampman & Walllace opened the first store in 1871. M. Smith and F.J. Gary engaged in the land, lumber and grain business in 1872 under the firm name of Smith & Gary. H.C. Newton was the first station agent. The business house of Carl Weidling, afterwards Weidling & Evers, was the first business house of importance in the town. E. House also was among the first to enter the mercantile business in West Side, the firm subsequently becoming House & Lamb.
West Side was incorporated March 11th, 1878, and has at the present time a population of about 600. The first town officers were: Carl Weidling, Mayor; L.L. Bond, Recorder; Henry Evers, Treasurer; E.M. Whipple, Marshal; James McClure, Street Commissioner; A. Waterman, A. Smith, W.L. Spottswood, F.J. Gary, P.J. King, Councilmen.
The following are the present officers: E.C. Haywood, Mayor; H.C. Ford, Recorder; C.D. Miller, Treasurer; H.B. Merrell, Marshal and Street Commissioner; A. Waterman, E.W. McCracken, P.J. King, I.B. Nelson, R.J. White, C.D. Miller, Councilmen.
The business establishments of West Side are represented as follows: Drug stores, two; hotels, two; general stores, four; livery, three; blacksmith shops, two; shoe shop, one; restaurants, two; wagon shop, one; printing offices, two; hardware stores, two; saloons, four; lumber yards, two; grain dealers, three; agricultural implements, three; banks, two; lawyers, two; physicians, four; stock dealers, two; millinery, one; meat market, one; harness shops, two; barber shop, one; flouring mill, one; corn sheller, one; news depot, one.
There are two banks, both of which are doing a thriving business, viz.: the West Side Bank, E.P. Gillett, Cashier; Exchange Bank, C.D. Miller, Cashier.
M. Smith was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by R.B. Taylor, whose successor was W.L. Spottswood, the present incumbent of the office. Mr. Spottswood received his appointment in 1879. The office was made a money-order office in 1875.
West Side has two newspapers, both of which are excellent exponents of the interests of their constituencies. The West Side Enterprise was established in March, 1880, by H.C. Ford, the present editor and proprietor. It is a six-column folio, is Republican in politics, and has a circulation of 500. Mr. Ford was formerly a resident of Wheatland, Iowa. The West Side Dispatch is a seven-column folio, Republican in politics, and was started April 19th, 1881. W.N. Becker, Jr., & Co., are the proprietors, Mr. Becker being the editor.
The West Side Flouring Mill was built by I.B. Nelson, the present proprietor, in 1878, the machinery being moved from Storey county. This mill is three-stories high, has a forty-horse engine, four run of stone, is furnished with the latest improved machinery, runs on full time, makes an excellent grade of flour, and has a capacity of one hundred barrels per day.
There is also a corn sheller at West Side, with a capacity of shelling one car-load per hour. Ralph Simpson is the manager.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
The M.E. Church SocietyThe organization of this society was some time prior to the year in which the church edifice was built, which was in 1878, the total cost of the structure being about $3,600. The building will seat about 300 people, and the society is in a prosperous and growing condition.
the Public SchoolsThe first school in West Side was taught in a carpenter shop in 1873. The first school house was built in 1874. It was 24x36 feet in dimensions, one story high, an addition of sixteen feet being afterwards made. The present school house was built in 1880, and is a large, two-story building of three departments. Prof. T.C. Branson, is the Principal; Mrs. C.K. Ford and Miss Lottie Truesdale, Assistants. The school building is an imposing structure, in every way creditable to the community. The district was organized as an independent district in the spring of 1881. The total enrollment of pupils is 126. The following comprises the Board of Education: L. Schofield, President; R.B. Taylor, R. Wagoner, I.B. Nelson, Carl Weidling, S.T. Boynton; F. Knowles, Secretary; Henry Evers, Treasurer.
Setting Sun Lodge No. 349, A.F. & A.M.Instituted 1875, with fifteen charter members. First officers: M. Smith, W.M.; charles Levy, S.W.; B.E. Allen, J.W.; R.b. Taylor, Secretary; F.J. Gary, Treasurer; H.B. Allen, S.D.; S.A. Miller, J.D. Present officers: E.C. Haywood, W.M.; J.P. Fitch, S.W.; A. Johnson, J.W.; C.B. winters, Secretary; Frank Brown, Treasurer. Membership, thirty-two. Meetings are held Saturday evening of each month, on or before the full moon.
Crawford Lodge No. 148, A.O.U.W.Instituted in 1877, with twenty charter members. First officers: E.P. Savage, P.M.W.; I.E. Blackman, M.W.; W.L. Spotswood, F.; Albert Johnson, O.;
N.A. Miller, R.; F.P. Wiseman, F.; F. Dean, S.; M.L. Spotswood, G.; S.L. Perrin, I.W.; F. Brown, O.W. Present officers : W.L. Spotswood, P.M.W.; W.N. Becker, Jr., M.W.; I.B. Nelson, F.; T. McBride, O.; Carl Weidling, R.; A. Johnson, F.; F. Brown, G.; C.P. Anderson, I.W.; George Curtis, O.W. The membership is about thirty-five. Meetings are held every Tuesday evening in Masonic Hall.
Dow City, or Dowville, as it was formerly called, was named in honor of Judge S.E. Dow, the original town proprietor and first settler, and is located on section 10, township 82, range 40, on the Chicago & Nortwestern Railroad, a little more than nine miles southwest of Denison. Judge Dow, who is the Mayor of the town, and as might well be supposed,in view of the circumstances, one of its leading citizens, came from Harrison County and located where Dow City now stands, in 1855. He still owns 1,860 acres of land immediately surrounding the townsite, besides being a large owner of town property.
Dowville was platted in 1869 by Judge S.E. Dow, and the Blair Town Lot and Land Company, Dow donating a half-interest in 400 acres of the townsite to the Blair Company in consideration of a railroad station being established at this point. A large addition to the town was laid out in November, 1881, by Dow and the Blair company, who also donated a plat of ground, 300 by 540 feet in dimensions, to the city for use as a public park, in consideration of the city's agreeing to expend an amount agreed upon in improvements and beautifying the same.
there was no building in Dowville until 1870. The depot was built in December of that year. June 1st, 1870, Abner Graves uploaded ten cars of lumber at Dowville, and immediately engaged in the lumber business, the firm subsequently becoming Dow, Graves & Co., the grain and farm machinery business being added. About the same time Graves also erected his present residence. During the season just ended, Graves disposed of his interest in the above firm, whose title is now S.E. Dow & Son.
In March, 1879, Mr. Graves started the Dow City Bank, a flourishing financial institution, in a building which he erected for that purpose.
Among others of the very earliest settlers were, L.E. Hardy, who opened a general store; a Mr. Wiggins, blacksmith; W.C. Hillas, general store; M.B. Lewis, drug store; William Cook, general store; in the building now occupied by T.J. Rasp & Co.; William Sullivan, saloon; Joseph McCole meat market; Albert Goddard, wagon and plow business; A. Manning, drayage; Bell & Whalley, meat market; John Lewis, hotel; H.C. Bowring, livery.
The town was incorporated in November, 1878, at which time the name was changed from Dowville to Dow City. the first municipal officers, under incorporation, were: S.E. Dow, Mayor; T.J. Rasp, Recorder; Abner Graves, Treasurer; F.C. Platt, Attorney; H.E. Talcott, Marshal; Abner Graves, L.E. Hardy, W.B. Hillas, Theo. Walker, W.B. Evans, Benjamin Heath, Trustees.
the following are the present officers: S.E. Dow, Mayor; F.L. Gilbert, Recorder; Abner Graves, Treasurer; F.C. Platt, Attorney; H.S. Jordan, Marshal; T.J. Rasp, J.J. Anthony, E. Goddard, Henry Bell, W.B. Evans, W.C. Hillas, Trustees.
Sarah Gaetta Hardy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Hardy, was the first child born in Dowville. She was born October 12, 1870.
The Dow City Flouring Mill is one of the most important industries of the place. It is located on the Boyer River, about 150 yards north of the depot, at the foot of Franklin Street. This mill was built by T.W. Chatburn in 1875, who ran it abut a year, when the firm became Chatburn & Rule. subsequently Dow, Graves and Rule became proprietors, and at present the mill is owned by Dow & Graves. The building is 42x52 feet in dimensions, is three-stories high, exclusive of the basement, has four run of stone, and all the latest improved machinery for making the patent and fancy grades of flour. The mill is complete in every respect, and is as fine a mill, size being considered, as there is in all the extent of county included in this work. Its capacity is about seventy barrels of flour per day.
The Dow City Criterion is a neat five-column quarto newspaper, started in November, 1880. It is independent in politics, and is in every way a creditable publication. F. Bangs is the editor; D.J. Butler and Stella M. Bangs, proprietors.
The growth of Dow City has been a steady and sturdy one; its location is picturesque and advantageous; The country surrounding is remarkably well adapted to farming and stock-raising, and is already well improved. The buildings of Dow City are substantial and attractive.
The following is a classified summary of the business establishments: General merchandise, three; hardware, two; agricultural implement depots, two; livery, two; hotels, two; drug-stores; two; meat markets, two; harness, one; furniture, onel; saloons, two; lumber yards, two; grain dealers, two; blacksmith shops, three;
wagon shop, one; paint shop, one; barber shop, one; millinery and dressmaking, one; bank and land office, one; physicians, two; attorneys, two; insurance agency, one; printing office, one.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
The Baptist Church SocietyThis society was organized in the winter of 1879, by Rev. Mr. Hawk, of Denison. Rev. F.W. Foster was he pastor. The membership is about twenty. The church edifice was erected in the autumn of 1881. It is not yet completed. The estimated cost is $2,000. Its seating capacity is about 200.
The M.E. Church SocietyOrganized in the winter of 1869. Rev. B. Shinn was the first pastor. He was succeeded, in the order named, by Revs. W.W. Glanville, Waynick, William Patterson, Wright, and C. Smith, the latter of whom is the present pastor. The church building was erected in 1879, at a total cost of $2,000. A parsonage was erected in 1877, at a cost of $600. the membership is about seventy-five. The Sabbath School has an attendance of about sixty pupils. George Rae, is the Superintendent. The present church officers are: George Rae, T. Rae, M.M. McHenry, S.J. comfort, S.S. Gibson, T.W. Parker, W. Whaley, John Rule, M. Wiggins, Trustees; S.J. Comfort, E.W. Pierce, Stewards; John Rule, Treasurer; L.E. Hardy, George Rae, Morris McHenry, Class Leaders. The church building has a seating capacity of 250, and is 32x48 feet in dimensions.
The Boyer Valley Branch of the Galland's Grove District of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints of Dow City.Organized in 1866. The present church edifice was, as is explained elsewhere, formerly the school house of Dow city and was purchased by the above society in 1879. The society has a membership of forty-one, all of whom, with the exception of six or eight, are converts to the reorganized church since about the year 1860. George Montague was the first Presiding Elder. The Presiding Elders since were in the order named, as follows: Aaron Hawley, George Montague, Absalom Kerkendall, Eber Benedict, C.E. Butterworth and John R. Rudd, the latter of whom is the present Presiding Elder. Charles E. Butterworth is at present the principal preacher for this society. The officers of the society are as follows: John R. Rudd, Presiding Elder; Abel H. Rudd, Priest, C.M. Wilder, Teacher. The first preaching was in the year 1859-60, Elders McIntosh, Wililam Blair and E.C. Briggs being the first ministers. As is elsewhere explained in the History, the reorganized church rejects the doctrine of polygamy, and abhor its practice. They preach the Bible with the Book of Mormon as concomitant and additional inspirational evidence.
the Public SchoolAs yet Dow City is not organized as an independent school district. The first school house erected in 1872. It is a frame building, 24x36 feet in dimensions, and was subsequently sold to the Society of Latter Day Saints, being now used for church purposes. George Rae taught the first school in Dow City. The present school house was completed in 1878. It is a two-story building of four departments, and is 42x48 feet in dimensions. The School Directors in 1872 were: S.E. Dow, for the Dow City schools; J.V. McHenry, Thomas Binnell, John Pett, S.R. Huffman. The present Board is as follows: George Rae, for the Dow City schools; Thomas Binnell, Frank McHenry, E. Howorth, Martin Conroy, C. Fullerton; Brake is the Principal; Miss Nellie Morrill, Teacher of the Intermediate, and Miss Effie J. Kilbourne, teacher of the Primary Department. The enrollment is about 160; the average attendance, about 140 pupils.
Dow City Lodge No. 111, Iowa Legion of HonorOrganized June 22d, 1881, with twenty-two charter members. The first officers were: J.J. Anthony, President; G. Hawley, V.P.; W.C. Pritchard, F.S.; W.H. Rule, R.S.; W.W. Cushman, Treasurer; Dr. W. Beatta, Medical Examiner; W.V. Whaley, C.; J.E. Rule, U.; N.H. MIles, D.; M.G. Wiggins, S.; E.V. Goddard, Benj. A. Heath, C.M. Wilder, Trustees. With the exception of M.G. Wiggins as F.S., Williams Sullivan, as Usher, M.B. Lewis, as Door-keeper, C.M. Wilder, Sentinel, and C.E. Butterworth as Trustee in place of C.M. Wilder, the present officers are the same as before. The present membership is eighteen. Meetings are held on the first and third Wednesday evenings of each month. The Lodge is in a substantial and encouraging condition.
The Township LibraryThis library is located in Brake Bros.' furniture store. W.P. Brake being the Librarian. There are about 500 volumes in the library, which is recognized as an institution of great value, and which is being fostered by the citizens accordingly.
W.C.T.U.The Woman's Christian Temperance Union of Dow City is one of the important and influential factors of the place, and has accomplished much in the promotion of the community's best interest. Among other results of the Union's efforts has been a series of instructive and entertaining public lectures. Mrs. C. Smith is the President. Miss Effie J. Kilbourne, Secretary; Mrs. Benj. A. Heath, Treasurer.
Dow City Cornet BandOrganized in the winter of 1880-81. There are fourteen members. M.G. Wiggins is the President; C.H. Brooke, Secretary and Treasurer; Frank E. Wilder, Leader.
Crawford County Biographies
Visit our family of homepages and join
Copyright © 2000 - 2002 D. J.
All Rights Reserved
Webmaster: D. J. Coover - firstname.lastname@example.org